where to order on internet a hearth board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewatcher

Nov 10, 2006
New Jersey
I have a fireplace insert and would like an extension hearth board or stove board. I would like a
12x 36, 12x48, 18x36, or 18x48. On the internet and around here everybody has the full size boards for sale which I don't need. I just need enough room to cover beyond the actual hearth over my rug. If anybody can direct me to any internet places that would be great. A few sites have them but you must be a retailer and order like 5 or more which is what I dont need.

These units are heavy. You might end up saving by buying it at a local dealer. I got a nice deal on my Yoder by buying locally.

BeGreen said:
These units are heavy. You might end up saving by buying it at a local dealer. I got a nice deal on my Yoder by buying locally.

I was thinking the same thing. By the time you include shipping, you could probabley buy one locally. Mine weighs about 80 lbs. (guesstimate) and sold for around $150 at my local retailer, if I remember correctly.

I bought a large hearth pad from my dealer for several hundred dollars and then I needed my carpenter to put cement under it to make it stable and solid. He told me for the price of all that he could have built me something custom. So I'd check with a contractor next time and find out what it would cost to lay down some bricks or tiles or something custom instead of getting a premade hearth pad.

heydan said:
I bought a large hearth pad from my dealer for several hundred dollars and then I needed my carpenter to put cement under it to make it stable and solid. He told me for the price of all that he could have built me something custom. So I'd check with a contractor next time and find out what it would cost to lay down some bricks or tiles or something custom instead of getting a premade hearth pad.

I agree....a corner pad can cost upwards of $500........you can make your own for a WHOLE LOT LESS.........

What a great idea!!! I tiled 1/2 my house myself. I am going out today to find 16 or 20 inch slate to put on a cement board. It will look classier and cost me like 50 bucks.
Cant believe I didnt think of something like that myself. DUUUUUHH!! :p

The other thing I would consider if I were doing it over again is to make a raised hearth and also raise the level of the bottom of the fireplace. The reason is that if the stove is raised up a few inches it's easier to reach in to load and clean it.

I went to the local stone yard and got a beautiful piece of Blue Rock(looks like grey slate) 5FT by 18 inches with scalloped edges for 100 bucks. I sealed so it has that wet and shiny look. Wife loves it and it has a very classy and masculine look to it. Looks way better than any stove board.
I am so glad I didnt buy one of those stove baords for like twice the price!!!!

I made mine out of 3/4 plywood, 3/4 inch durock and cermac tiles and it looks great and cost me about $150.00 to make.

Newtofire said:
I made mine out of 3/4 plywood, 3/4 inch durock and cermac tiles and it looks great and cost me about $150.00 to make.

Did the same with leftovers from other projects---had some one-off sample marble tiles in various colors that I busted up with a hammer and made a nice mosaic----cost all of about 7 bucks and it's unique.

Another vote for making your own hearth pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.