Where to put a heat gauge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a cheapo infrared handheld temp scanner from horrible Freight for $19.99.... I can use it for my stove OR my wife...

krooser said:
I bought a cheapo infrared handheld temp scanner from horrible Freight for $19.99.... I can use it for my stove OR my wife...

HAHAHA. After being married to my wife for 15 years I know whens she's hot!! LOL

Id just like to get a magnet one to put and leave on the stove. Always had one on a wood stove. Nice to know the temp.

Pellet stoves don't radiate much heat like a wood stove, i would stick a oven thermometer in the blower heat tube

woodknack---I started using the thermometer you speak of this past season. Yes I placed on front of stove where the heated air is forced out. Worked ok gives a good idea of temps you get from different pellets. I also use to let me know when stove is ready for a good cleaning. I typically lost a few degrees when things got too dirty. Hope this helps.

pelletkrzd said:
woodknack---I started using the thermometer you speak of this past season. Yes I placed on front of stove where the heated air is forced out. Worked ok gives a good idea of temps you get from different pellets. I also use to let me know when stove is ready for a good cleaning. I typically lost a few degrees when things got too dirty. Hope this helps.
Thank you.

woodknack said:
smwilliamson said:
What are you trying to measure the heat of? The air or the metal on the stove? The door is about the hottest exterior surface on most pellet stoves

I want the air temp. That way I can tell differences in pellets etc..

Drop a meat thermometer into the air tube
Meat_Thermometer_ID_T512_887.jpg

I want something I can leave there. Not something that is loose and flops around. Im going magnetic which is probably cheaper anyways. Just wanted to know where people were putting it. Plus has a higher heat range then your meat thermometer idea!

woodknack said:
I want something I can leave there. Not something that is loose and flops around. Im going magnetic which is probably cheaper anyways. Just wanted to know where people were putting it. Plus has a higher heat range then your meat thermometer idea!

I use a Turkey Thermometer for this same reason. Meant for frying turkey; has a very long probe and has higher temps. It also has a clip that clips right to the top of my stove and stays put.

You can see it on my avatar. Top left part of the stove.

Woodknack,
I got a bit lucky, but I have a Taylor digital thermometer that has a small rectangular face and it just fits in the grate work in the front of the stove. It stays right there and all I have to do is hit a button and it reads out. Very inexpensive and reliable, it only measures the air. Nice way to differentiate pellet performance

Schoondog

schoondog said:
Woodknack,
I got a bit lucky, but I have a Taylor digital thermometer that has a small rectangular face and it just fits in the grate work in the front of the stove. It stays right there and all I have to do is hit a button and it reads out. Very inexpensive and reliable, it only measures the air. Nice way to differentiate pellet performance

Schoondog

Thanks, Sounds just like what I want. Have any pictures of it?

Hello

If you want to measure the wood pellet stove heat output accurately and on it's highest setting, I recommend the $25.00 digital Cole-Palmer and also purchase the high temperature heat probe. Most thermometers do not measure upto 1500 degrees like this one! My Avalon Astoria on low is 250 and high is over 600 degrees F !!

See my post below
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/52626/

See cole-palmer web site
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8646003

Large pic
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/large_image.asp?sku=8646003&img=86460_03 _05.jpg

This meter has a 4-ft. ribbon micro-cable that allows you to place the probe within an area and close the door without affecting the probe or the door seal. Accurately monitor temperature within freezers, water baths, heating blocks, incubators, refrigerators, and other areas. The meter includes a fast-response type-K probe that can be used for general purpose applications. Users can also choose from a wide verity of probe sold separately for surface, liquid, air or semi-solid materials.
What’s Included:
one beaded-wire type K probe, NIST-traceable certificate, leatherette case, and one 9 V battery
Specifications
Temp range -58 to 1382°F
Resolution 1°F
Accuracy ±2°F .75% between 32 to 932°F and ±2°F 1% between 933 to 1382°F. Below 32 accuracies are: -4 ± 8°F, -40°F ± 8°F, and -58°F ± 10°F
Probe Thermocouple
Display 4-digit LCD, 0.7” high
Probe type Type-K
Probe(s) included Yes
Dimensions 2 3/4” W x 4 1/4”H x 3/4” (76 x 114 x 18mm).
Power 9-Volt Alkaline battery (included)

Good Luck
Don

Attachments

• DigitalTherm.jpg
    DigitalTherm.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 279
schoondog said:
Woodknack,

Schoondog

A pic from the website....Schoondog

Attachments

• 9878.jpg
    9878.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 272
schoondog said:
schoondog said:
Woodknack,

Schoondog

A pic from the website....Schoondog

Thanks! I want something just like that! Something cheap that I can monitor the heat with. I don't care how accurate it is. Its just for reference. It is better then guessing weather it is hotter or cooler then before! Thanks again!!

woodknack said:
smwilliamson said:
What are you trying to measure the heat of? The air or the metal on the stove? The door is about the hottest exterior surface on most pellet stoves

when evaluating the "heat of the pellets" dont forget to consider density of the pellet. You can thell by looking at the bag & how well ts stuffed for 40lbs. A "hotter" pellet would have a less stuffed bag i think

BLIMP said:
woodknack said:
smwilliamson said:

when evaluating the "heat of the pellets" dont forget to consider density of the pellet. You can thell by looking at the bag & how well ts stuffed for 40lbs. A "hotter" pellet would have a less stuffed bag i think

Yes.
Plus it will be a no-brainer by looking at the heat gauge. I was tired of trying to guess the heat output by putting my hand in front of the hot air vent. I know there are many factors, like how well the stove is clean etc. For instance my heat exchanger is just a metal plate. Have to scrap it with a 4 inch putty knife every time I vac out my stove or else it will collect ash and soot and insulate the metal plate and will not put out as much hot of air as it should. I love the stove so far. Just trying to work all the little bugs out of it. The stove is a us stove king 5510. I just sealed up the ash tray dump door because I see it was sucking air there. I also sent out for the outside air kit which should help too. I was pleased with the heat output last year using clean energy pellets from lowes But there was a ton of ash. This year I figured I would try some real good pellets and got spruce pointe's and Oakies. Also developed a weird noise in my room blower motor on lower speeds. I took it all apart and it seems to be the back bearing. I think it gets hotter then the front one ( the front one has a fan next to the bearing). I ordered 2 new bearings on ebay and installed them. Sounds fine now. But time will tell this winter if the howling will come back or not. Anyway it was a cheap $8.40 fix. Thats where I am right now, Trying to get all my ducks in a row before cold weather hits. I know I am early but it sure does feel good knowing I will be ready!

outdoor temp, humidity,wind direction, indoor room temp are also factors to consider along with pellet density,humidity, & ash content [as stove insulation]. I'm trying to get info as how how a pellet bag gets its btu# stamped on it & having a hard time! so far

woodknack said:
Im want to get a magnetic heat gauge for my pellet stove. Where do you guys mount them? do you stick them in the middle of the where the hot air flows out of?

My personal opinion, based on my perceived usefulness of temp guages on pellet stoves, is that the prime consideration in installation is to make very sure during installation,that passive solar heat does not have an effect.

Wood knack
Glad I could help. You are right, keep the thermometer in the same spot, wait a specific amount of time, keep stove at a fixed auto rate and keep a record book and you should be able to tell which pellets burn better/hotter, when your stove needs a cleaning, and a host of other things. I was trying to post a pic of it in my stove, which is also a US Stove, but I need to move my pics over to this new computer and haven't had time. I believe you have the same grill over the air discharge and the thermometer fits in there nice nice. Oh and i remember a while back there were a few folks on the forum who had the 5500 stoves and they had sealed their ash pans and had tuned em pretty nicely. You might want to do a search and check their comments.

Schoondog

schoondog said:
Wood knack
Glad I could help. You are right, keep the thermometer in the same spot, wait a specific amount of time, keep stove at a fixed auto rate and keep a record book and you should be able to tell which pellets burn better/hotter, when your stove needs a cleaning, and a host of other things. I was trying to post a pic of it in my stove, which is also a US Stove, but I need to move my pics over to this new computer and haven't had time. I believe you have the same grill over the air discharge and the thermometer fits in there nice nice. Oh and i remember a while back there were a few folks on the forum who had the 5500 stoves and they had sealed their ash pans and had tuned em pretty nicely. You might want to do a search and check their comments.

Schoondog

Thanks again. I think I have read just about everything posted on this forum about the king 5500 and 5510 stove. And I have learned a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.