Where to put the stacks??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XJma

Burning Hunk
Oct 28, 2012
NH
So I had two+ cords of nice, truly seasoned, hardwoods delivered yesterday which should keep me warm this year while my green wood gets seasoned!! I really lucked out, IMO, with this wood having MM readings of 9-15 on the outside and fresh splits have ranged from about 12-22 depending on size. The best part is that it burns awesome in the stove and it fires right up to 500-550 with ease and can stay there choked. From what I've learned from reading this site I think that I really did luck out. I was scared that I wasn't going to be able to find anything better than the one year seasoned oak that burns just OK to so-so that I already have a bunch of. Can't wait to have some REALLY good seasoned wood next year!!

Anyways, I have plenty of land to put stacks on, but in terms of the best location (and unfortunately everything but one 4x4 pallet for emergency/immediate use if the snow gets deep will not be right outside the door, but whatever) I am not so sure. We go an inch of snow the other day that has all but melted other than in shady areas. I noticed that where I have been keeping some of my oak for a while is in one of those shady areas that still has snow on the ground. I'm thinking that any of the shadier areas closer to massive evergreens (many pines, some cedars, and one massive hemlock) are not prime realestate for seasoning my wood. Or does shade/sun exposure not matter much??

Would it be OK to make some stacks of fresh green oak in the shade of the wooded areas of my property?? Or less ideal than say in the middle of the grass with full sun? Or will it matter??

Area to left still with a little snow, that's where I was keeping about 2 cords of oak rounds for quite some time before I even had the stove...oops??
PB285382.jpg

Looking south, plenty of room. The stack there in front of the sleds (my brothers sleds, I'm just the mechanic) is freshly downed oak.
PB285388.jpg

My new wood, got some stacking to do.
PB285375.jpg

Pic of the fancy pallets I've been acquiring to use for stacking base. I have been making two rows, +/-8" or so between should be decent enough air flow, eh?
PB285396.jpg

Here they are with some wood on them. The stack on the right I just drove the pole into the ground and hoped it would hold....which is why it has a second pole holding it up!! On the left there I smartened up and took advice from someone on here and used the string to the pole and then tied around a split in the middle of the stack....works awesome!
PB285401.jpg

Here in Colorado it makes no difference where you put your stacks as it's very dry here. You are in Massachusetts I believe, where it may be better to use a locatoin where the wood will see some direct sunlight year round to aid in curing.

The ideal place to stack us wherever it can get the most wind. The next priority it maxing out sun exposure.
If you can get both good wind AND a lot of sun, all the better.

Many of us do not have ideal conditions so we live with what we have. All my trees are water oak and pin oak.
I have stacks on the west edge of my woods that get full afternoon sun and catch our prevailing winds out of the west and south. Other stacks are in a clearing surrounded by trees. That wood gets only midday sun and little wind.
One other big stack is way out in the woods where it gets no wind and just a little sun. That tree came down right next to my trail so that makes it convenient.

The thing is, It will all eventually season. It will just take longer in less than ideal circumstances. Green(wet) oak usually takes at least two years in good circumstances. Limited sun and wind will prolong that.
Splitting it into very small pieces might help somewhat but don't count on burning it next year.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
One problem with stacking under trees will be that fallen leaves will get into the cracks in the stack and start to form compost. You don't want compost in your wood stacks.

Reactions: PapaDave
Ideal is a N/S single row (so the sun hits both sides.) off the ground, in an open area for good wind/air circulation, with a rigid top cover to keep the rain off.
Like Kenster said, few of us have the ideal , but do the best we can for our situation.

Looks like you have a good open area. Good spacing between rows :)
I'd throw down some landscape cloth on the ground under the rows to help with weeds/grass & ground moisture.
Make one long row of pallets with a double row of splits like you have going now. Some space from trees & shrubs is good.

Take some long sticks & put it thru both rows every 3' to 4' , 1/3 down from the top for some stack stability.

I learned to hate tarps for top covering but you can lay pallets on top of the stacks & then anchor down the tarps for top covers over the pallets.
Better air circulation & less moisture condensation.
I finally built a wood shed/port. Got tired of chasing, securing, replacing, shredding tarps :)

I do a E/W double row with space between the row in an open area for good wind/air movement. There for 1 year then to the wood shed.

100_8163.JPG 100_8164.JPG Nov12WdStck.JPG Nov12WdShd.JPG

Reactions: albert1029
I stack my stuff along the woods but it gets good wind and afternoon sun, works for me, and easy to mow around :)

I won't say wind is more important than sun, but if you can't get sun, put it where it can get some good wind and you'll be fine.
I'm able to stack E/W on the north side of a field where the south side of the stacks get sun most of the day. Everything gets wind all the time.
I'd like to get some pallets, cut 'em in 1/2, then do what Dave talked about: put those on top, then cover with a tarp or roofing material secured. Plenty of air flow that way and the wood never gets any appreciable amount of water on it.
Right now, and for the last 4 years, I don't top cover that wood.

Wind is more important than sun but if you can get both, good. Sun is good but only if it also has good air circulation.

We've never worried a bit about stacking wood in the shade and leaf drop is never a problem. We've stacked directly under mature white and red oaks so lots of leaf drop. No problem. Leaves drop, wind blows, leaves are gone.

Thanx for all the good advice. I hope to get something more permanent for top cover than tarps in the future, but they'll have to do for now! I started another stack, book-ended with the jenga pattern instead of bean poles, and man is it time consuming getting those jenga patterns nice!! Looks cool though and it seems like it will hold up! I really like the idea of through-sticks 1/3 from the top for stability.

As you can see I currently have two EW stacks going, started another EW one waiting for replies the other day but I think I'm going to move the sled trailer and continue building on the NS stacks. Not to worry about leaves in there as there are very few deciduous trees in that part of the property. Planning on taking a few of those cedars down along my NS stack too in the near future.

Thanx again!!

Unfortunately as I write this I haven't had any time to get much of my new wood stacked, but it's atleast mostly covered w/ two 8x10 tarps to keep the snow off of most of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.