Where to put the thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeyrichard

Dec 12, 2006
Sorry for the stupid question.....

I have been keeping my stove thermometer right dead center of the top of my stove, where I have determined it is probably the hottest. I use the thermometer to make sure I keep the thing hot, but not too hot so as to cause damage or increase risk of bad things happening.

Where is the correct place for this thermometer. I ask because I was a the hearth store today adn noticed that they had their thermometer on the stove pipe.

Another related question is this. There is a scale on the thermometer...not hot enough.....just right.....too hot. How are these determined? There are so many different materials for stoves and chimneys, I would be suprised if they alll had the same safe operating temperatures.

Thanks,
Russ

I would check your manual to see where it recommends for placement. Also, I would get a thermometer that reads out temperature and again, check your manual for recommended burning temperatures.

Chris

Here's another question in line with wiskeyrichards, if you have a double walled stove pipe, what good would a magnetic thermometer do? Or does one drill a hole in the stove pipe and insert a thermometer in... like sticking one in a turkey?

Also, is there any advantage in having 2 thermometers in different locations?

-Kevin

What make/model stove Richard? The correct stovetop temp varies a lot from stove to stove. I've never liked the arbitrary ranges labels on stove thermometers. And they look kind of garish on some models. Give me a plain white dial thermometer anyday.

The stove I am talking about is an old trailmaster. I think it was probabaly made about 30 years ago.

I think it is going to be replaced here real soon. I am thinking about replacing it with a pellet stove.

I have a new country S160 stove in my upstairs. I ave the same questions about it (temp wise). If I remember correctly, I did not see a temp spec in the country stove manual. I'll look again, but if any of you have any ideas about what it should be....please let em know. If I find something in the manuasl, I'll post it.

I have some other questions about pellet stoves and chimneys ans drafting and the like, but I'll start a new thread for that.

Russ

The S160 should be happy running at around 500-600. Secondaries should start kicking in at around 400 I would think. I'm not sure about the Trailmaster. Is there an air gap between the top and the firebox? On stoves that circulate room air in the plenum over the top of the firebox, the stovetop temp can be much lower. Some of the Appalachian stoves have this design.

Most thermometers I see are marked for the stove pipe, where I think you put it about a foot and a half up! I have an insert with 2 shelves one is the true stove top, the other is the top of the outer wall where the air passes through, forced by fan. I put the guage right on the first shelf, true stove top, and let her go into the red around 600-650, Iv'e had her up to 8 something without any negatives, except that its really hot air pushing through her, my manual says don't let her glow, shes like yours 26 years old, so they went by the dont turn her red guide back then!

Get 2 thermometers. One for the pipe and one for the stove. They are pretty cheap and it's good to monitor both.

not to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I get this right.

two things I got here are

1) get two thermometers, one for the pipe and one for the stove top
and my questions is
which one to I keep in the "burn zone" accroding to the thermometer?

2) the county S160 should be happy around 500-600 degrees.
and my question is
is this measured at what seems to be the hottest part of the stove or on the pipe going out of the stove?

Thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate it.
Russ

Get two. Immediately forget about anything printed on the front of it except the temperature markings. Put one on the pipe up 12 to 18 inches above the flue collar if you have single wall pipe. If is a surface mount magnetic jobbie try to keep it above 200 on the dial. On startup it will climb higher. And will settle back as the fire levels out.

Put the other one in the middle of the top of the stove. Try to keep it where ever you feel most comfortable running the stove.

Operative word - Put one on the pipe up 12 to 18 inches above the flue collar if you have single wall pipe. If double-wall pipe, you'll need a probe thermometer. If the old trailmaster has the air jacket plenum on top, then just go with one thermometer on (or in) the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.