Where to start - chimney pipe for wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fortls

May 8, 2008
NE Ohio
Hello - can you help me from the beginning, please? I have had a stove in my lower level family room for years - it's an insert and we use the fireplace chimney for venting...I just added a patio room, and have a small cast iron stove - I just have to figure out how to put in a chimney pipe - It's a small stove about 12 x 24 and takes a 6" pipe with the "exit" on top of the stove. Easiest would be to go straight up, but I could go up about 3 feet, and then through the wall - the roof is completed, but the "wall" has not been finished...Should I use double, single, insulated? How high? Thanks for any help.

If you can go straight up and it is the easiest path, what is the caveat? Usually that is the best route. What will the path be for the flue if it goes straight up?

Also, what make and model stove is this?

I'm pretty much wrapping up my install. About the best advice I can give you is to hang around on this site and do some reading. After a while, you will get a feel for what you need to do. Well, that's what I did anyway.

As BeGreen said, straight up is the best way to go. Fortunately, I was able to go straight up. To go through a ceiling you have to use at least double walled chimney pipe.

I relied on this to begin with. However, make sure to read the manufacture's directions because they may be a bit different. This may give you a good starting point:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/1275766.html

I would have been more thorough in my response, but I'm tired and not thinking to well.

Best way is straight up, best draft and easiest cleaning. Easiest way is to go to Menards, they have a handy little 'flier' that shows the different applications/installation options and the pieces you'll need for each. In short, from the stove up, you need:

stove->black single wall stove pipe to ceiling->@ ceiling you need a stove pipe to insulated pipe adapter, this piece also attaches to your ceiling joists and supports the chimney from that point up-> from that point on you'll need insulated stainless double-wall pipe(duravent or equivalent) that will run up the rest of the length of your chimney to the chimney cap -> at the roofline you will cut a larger hole to allow 2" of space around the chimney and will install a flashing(there are usually 2 different ones based on the pitch of your roof) run your chimney up high enough that it extends at least 3 feet above the highest point at which a 10'diameter cicle around your chimney would not touch any part of your building structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.