Where would I find a hot water filter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkusek

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2008
Nebraska
Where do I find one of these?

Google "hot water filter" or "hot water filter housing." Easy to find.

Are you looking to filter DHW or boiler water? There are plenty of stainless steel canister DHW filter available. For boiler water I suggest a dirt separator. They can separate particles down to a 5 micrometer size after multiple passes.

hr

in hot water said:
Are you looking to filter DHW or boiler water? There are plenty of stainless steel canister DHW filter available. For boiler water I suggest a dirt separator. They can separate particles down to a 5 micrometer size after multiple passes.

hr

Hot Rod,
I'm just looking for boiler water. Specifically, coming off the storage tanks although I think they should be fairly clean now. I have a Y strainer near the boiler but I have read your comments previously on dirt strainer. Maybe that is what I need to add since doing a minor change now on close boiler piping. I'm relocating the boiler circ to come just after the air scoop. Will be adding a higher quality air eliminator like you have also suggested in past posts in place of the current cheap float vent located there. The air scoop will now be at the PONP. The circ is currently located between output of the Danfoss mixing valve pumping into the lower boiler input as some diagrams typically indicate.

jebatty said:
Google "hot water filter" or "hot water filter housing." Easy to find.

Jim,
Having trouble finding the thread with the picture of your filter. Most of the results from google indicate 150-180 temps. I did find a red one (aquatell) that says good for 200 degrees but only has 3/4" piping and I didn't see any flow specs. Does yours have a 1" or 1.25" opening? Are your filters 2.5" round by 10" long? Seems to be a standard size. I guess I was hoping to find something proven like yours. Cozyheat and Pex Supply websites don't appear to have anything like this. My tanks may be clean enough now that a dirt separator may be all I need like HR suggests. If something reasonably priced were available I would put one on the output of the tanks just for piece of mind.

Mine is stainless steel with 3/4" ports. Right now I have it on Side A of the storage-hx loop, no filter on the Side B to radiant in-floor. What you might consider is to install it with by-pass valving and then run it periodically with system otherwise idle to catch anything in the boiler/storage system. The system does get quite clean after awhile, and I don't think, unless you make a change in your system, that you have to use it continuously.

In short, put it where your system is likely to be dirtiest, until it's cleaned up.

jebatty said:
Mine is stainless steel with 3/4" ports. Right now I have it on Side A of the storage-hx loop, no filter on the Side B to radiant in-floor. What you might consider is to install it with by-pass valving and then run it periodically with system otherwise idle to catch anything in the boiler/storage system. The system does get quite clean after awhile, and I don't think, unless you make a change in your system, that you have to use it continuously.

In short, put it where your system is likely to be dirtiest, until it's cleaned up.

Good idea with the bypass and part time use. 3/4" would be fine in that case.

It really depends on what you are trying to filter, and how much. Older iron pipe systems or cast iron radiators can shed rust and scale continuously. The goal is to keep any dirt, debris or flakes out of you pump impeller, valve seats, air vents, etc. Either a filter or separator will work, with a system that is in constant need of removal the separators are less maintenance and less apt to plug and starve the system of flow.

So the selecting the correct device really depends on your application. There are also dual use devices available that are both air and dirt separators in one component.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.