Where would you put the woodstove (link to floorplan in message)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evilgriff

Burning Hunk
Oct 14, 2007
Northern New Jersey
Where would you put the woodstove? We are doing a major renovation. In what is now the master bedroom in the middle of the room with a straight up 6" pipe is currently where my 8y/o Intrepid II cat stove is. I redid the stove with the help of members here, new gaskets, throat hood, cat and thermostat, it works great and I want to keep it. I will have new family room in a new section of the house, but I can't seem to find a new home that would be perfect for the stove. Does anyone see something I don't see?? How about ductwork with a filter to circulate air if the stove is in the far corner of the house. Attic and full basement to be unfinished. Any Ideas?? <hr>
355768491.jpg
<hr>
355768495.jpg

My thought is that you want to accomplish two things with your placement of the stove: heat and aesthetics. Just my opinion, but the place you aren't going to need the heat to be strongest is the bedrooms, as you can stay warm with more blankets. I'd put the stove either in the living room against the wall where the garage attaches or against the front wall near the front entrance. By putting the stove in either of these locations you put the heat in the places you are going to want it while you are awake (family room, kitchen, dining room) and you limit the distance you are trekking wood through the house. Say what you want about bringing wood in, but it is going to create some dirt, bark, or snow issue. The less you have to walk across floors (especially carpeted ones), the better. By putting the stove in the living room, you're also putting it in the 'use' area of the house. What I mean is that you family room or living room is where everyone congregates and likely spends a good chunk of time. It only makes sense to have it as comfortable as possible.

If you are still doing renovations, see if you can eliminate some walls and open up some space near the hall that leads to the bedrooms somehow. Another thought, no matter where you put your stove, they make great small fans these days to help move heat. Best of luck.

What about in the family room against the wall that backs onto the stair case? That way you would have an interior chimney and the stove would be relatively centrally located.

I guess the issue is where should it go in the family room. I have a similar floor plan, open floor plan and cathedral ceiling. In your plans mine is on an corner angle in the front of the house, garage wall side. The kitchen side is the last to warm up, and few degrees colder. Our open loft bedroom at the far end is always warm. My back bedrooms are about 8 degrees colder. For some people it's fine, but I have separate heat zones for each of the bedrooms. I assume you are insulating as much as possible. Maybe a better location is on an corner angle, garage wall side, middle of the house. This would center the heat and get it closer to the bedrooms. I'd lay out all of the furniture and then decide where it fits best. I don't think it's going to make a big difference.

Can't comment on ducting as I never did any.

Tom

After looking at this again. I would swap the laundry room and dining room. The kitchen moves right a little, the island remains, swap the sink and stove, and the fridge and cabinet go to the other end of the kitchen, against the laundry room wall. So now the family room, dining room and kitchen is one connected open space. The only issue is the noisy washer / dryer is near the bedrooms. Oh I forgot we were just trying to find a place for the stove.

Tom

I am tempted to put the stove where the family room closet is located. (Reverse the front door swing.) The closet can be replaced with a nice armoire somewhere else adjacent to the entry. Otherwise, probably somewhere on the common wall with the garage, but with the flue straight up from the stove.

PS: If there is a stove in the MBroom, it is a direct code violation. Woodstoves are not allowed in bedroom installations.

I would put in the top left corner of the family room, but only after I did a little rearranging with the laundry room so the chimney would pop out the backside of the house (close to the peak).

BeGreen said:
PS: If there is a stove in the MBroom, it is a direct code violation. Woodstoves are not allowed in bedroom installations.

What state is that in? Pretty sure its okay according to the US fire code.

I think I would put it in the Family room, along the garage wall. Possibly in the corner by laundry room wall. Where the peak of your roof will be though. I would position the stove so that you can run the chimney up near (but not through) the peak of the roof.

Personally, I wouldn't want it right in the entry way. I think you'd get more enjoyment out of it if it can be more of a focal point in the room.

-SF

KarlP said:
BeGreen said:

Nope, you'll have to show me that. It's been gone over several times a year here. Solid fuel appliances are not permitted in a bedroom. There might be a rare exception where the room is very large and has no blocking door.

Code is in this thread here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4465/P22/#47543

Does your home have a second floor? It appears that the plan shows stairs going up from the family room, and down to basement on the opposite side. Yet, the rendering posted to the right appears to be a one story home? Got a shed dormer off the back not visible in the image?
If there's an open stairwell to a second level, that may be a consideration in locating the stove....all the heat will disappear upstairs and leave downstairs cold if you're too close to the stair.

I'd consider two locations:
1. Along short south wall of laundry room, facing living room. That'd allow you to enjoy view of fire etc. from family room, while being somewhat centered to heat living/kitchen half of house. However, you mentioned adding a new family room??? Where's that addition?
2. Remove closet on south side of dining room and install there. Central location for more optimal heating of whole floor plan. Not ideal though for aesthetics/enjoying the fire.

BeGreen said:
KarlP said:
BeGreen said:

Nope, you'll have to show me that. It's been gone over several times a year here. Solid fuel appliances are not permitted in a bedroom. There might be a rare exception where the room is very large and has no blocking door.

Code is in this thread here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4465/P22/#47543

Except the quote is missing a key part of the code...

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/oregon/08_Residential/PDFs/Chapter 17_Combustion Air.pdf

Exception: The following appliances shall be permitted to obtain combustion air from sleeping rooms, bathrooms and toilet rooms:
1. Solid-fuel-fired appliances provided the room is not a confined space and the building is not of unusually tight construction.

If its not unusually tight construction you simply need 50cuft of air space per 1000btu of stove rating. So a 14x14 bedroom with 7.5' ceilings can't have more a stove rated for more than 29,400 BTU per hour. Personally, I wouldn't be able to sleep with that much heat in my poorly insulated bedroom. :)

A 1500w portable heater is 5120 BTU/hour. I think a tiny stove like a VC Aspen rated at maximum of 18,000 BTU would be more than enough of heat in a bedroom and per code. No?

Karl, is that Oregon exclusive?

I would put the stove in the front of the far left window of your family room. (far left as you look from the front, front corner closest to the garage) While I agree that the closet area would be an idea place for the stove as far as maximizing space, in my opinion, a front entrance without a closet space will always have a disheveled appearance and will be missing that space.

I don't think having the stove anyplace in that room will hurt your heating abilities, but I do think your resale and enjoyability of that room would be effected if you removed that closet.

pen

BeGreen said:
Karl, is that Oregon exclusive?

As far as I know those rules apply to most states. A few minutes of googling yields ...

North Carolina -
http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineeri...nts/proposed/2009NCFuelGasCode_amendments.pdf

South Carolina -
http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/sc/st/b4v07/st_sc_st_b4v07_17_sec001_par004.htm

Arizona -
http://www.tempe.gov/citycode/08BldgRegs-InternationalResidentialCode.htm

Virginia -
http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/code_enforcement/resolutions/2006 Mechanical -FINAL COPY FOR RESOLUTION 120507.pdf

Thanks for all of the replies. Xman, I tend to like your thinking. This addition has not started yet and I am still working on the floorplan with the architect, but he could care less about my woodstove. I still have problems with this plan and believe it or not, architects just look to get the job done or so it seems. I have a nice back yard and with this plan my views of it are practically nil, with few windows in the rear. It is currently a 2 bedroom, there will be an upstairs, but unfinished for now. My intrepid II currently is in what is the "master bedroom" in the drawing (it is now my living room), with a straight chimney going up mabye a foot from the ridge-awesome draft, easy to light with no smoke issues. I think I will be changing this plan a bit to make things flow better and possibly to find a way to get the woodstove in a more central location.

Unless you need the room upstairs over the living room and new dining room location. My suggestion would be to make this end of the house a cathedral ceiling. A very dramatic look to this open floor plan room. Besides the stove will work better. 2 x 12 rafters, no ceiling, will cost less than closing it in. I'd put a large slider or french doors in the dining room out to the deck.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.