Where's My ASH!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastera

Feeling the Heat
Sep 8, 2008
SE Mass
About 1/3 cord into my 3 cord stash of pine, burning pretty steady (20hrs/day) for about a month.

I haven't needed to empty the ash and there isn't even 1/2" in the stove. After burning this much oak/maple, I would have had to empty every four or five days. Liking this free pine more and more.

So far this year degree days are down 10% from last year and my oil usage is for DHW only (25 gal/month). Last year at this time I was 3/4 through my end of September fill up, 180+ gallons. The Hampton may be small but it's got a lot of fight in it :vampire:

Has anyone else notice extremely low ash from bark free pine?

Can't quite say the same here, granted mine usually has the bark on, and is just barely seasoned enough to burn this year. I'm usually shoveling ashes out every handfull of days.

I don't get much ash in the Fire View either. I think it is the nature of pine being less dense or burning hotter leaving less coals when the fuel is exhausted.

I know where my ash is! In my wood pile waiting for
cold weather sometimes in Jan!
Really, I have not have much ash in the box but that is only since
I have not lit many fires in the stove this year! I love it.
Things will likely change soon...

It hit 59f in the house so the stove got cranked up - Mom is living here after dad passed so I have a choice, burn or buy lots of oil... burn baby burn

All good! Let her rip if the house is cool. That is why we burn wood!
Pine produces little ask if burnt hot and fast.

I emptied my stove out for the first time this weekend. Been 24/7 burning for about 1.5 months. Had about 4 gallons of ash. Could have waited another couple weeks, stove wasn't really full but I had let it go cold since I was in the hospital for a bit.

We've also burned a lot this fall (not pine though) and still have yet to empty ashes. Will have to soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.