Where's the Ashes!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Could_Be_Warm

Oct 25, 2023
Washington
So I finally got it all installed and connected and now I can just push a button when I want to turn it on. I have used three or four 40-pound bags of pellets so far. My stove has a tray that slides out to empty out ashes. After burning 80 pounds of pellets, this tray has only got about the same ashes as you'd get from two cigars!!!
Is this normal?! I expected a lot more ashes than this. How can you burn 80 pounds of pellets and get hardly a cigar's worth of ashes? Maybe they're blowing out the exhaust? LoL

My stove which gets vacuumed once a week and normally
produces 4 cups of ash for 7 bags in the firebox my
ask pan gets emptied after 1 ton of pallet, 50 bags and is about 3/4 full
No most GOOD pellets burn just about everything leaving little ash

Reactions: Could_Be_Warm
I didn't shop around as much as I could have when buying the stove and since I got mine I saw a couple I might have liked better for close to the same price, but mine works fine and should last a long time so I'm happy. It's like when you buy a car and a few weeks later ... "Oh, I could have bought one of THOSE instead. LoL Anyhow, this thing is brand new and convenient and pretty nice and certainly warms things up, so I'm not complaining! When I was trying to find exhaust pipes for installing mine, I visited a super high-end stove shop that sold a very large selection of extremely nice pellet stoves but they had absolutely NOTHING in the way of parts etc to install them. But their stoves were very deluxe, very high-end, and very expensive. I mean, some beautiful ones priced starting at over $5000 and up. Wow! I'll keep that place in mind for my new house build when I hit the Powerball. That's about what it would take... Haha

So I finally got it all installed and connected and now I can just push a button when I want to turn it on. I have used three or four 40-pound bags of pellets so far. My stove has a tray that slides out to empty out ashes. After burning 80 pounds of pellets, this tray has only got about the same ashes as you'd get from two cigars!!!
Is this normal?! I expected a lot more ashes than this. How can you burn 80 pounds of pellets and get hardly a cigar's worth of ashes? Maybe they're blowing out the exhaust? LoL
surprised no one has asked what pellets you are burning sooooooo let me inquire for everyone.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I have two brands. Lignetics premium quality, less than 1/2 of 1% ash, from Ace Hardware, about $8.00 a bag, but I had a 20% off coupon,
And "Greentree premium pellet fuel", from Lowe's. There is a store near me called Tractor Supply that has yet a third brand, also supposed to be premium quality, those are $6.99 a bag, I haven't tried those yet. My friend Steve buys pellets by the ton, I think they are still in 40-pound bags, but I don't have the storage space so I buy about ten bags at a time.
Tonyray, are you saying you've got 7 tons of pellets?!

surprised no one has asked what pellets you are burning sooooooo let me inquire for everyone.
And the Make of the stove you bought?

The room where the stove is, is about 25 feet by 28 feet, and has a seven foot long, sequoia redwood coffee table in the middle of the room. There is a bar along one side of the room. Very awesome. I went to a hardware store and got a temperature reader gizmo that displays an indoor and an outdoor temperature, and placed the sensor for "outdoor" in the middle of the coffee table and the "indoor" with digital readout, on the bar. So I can see when the temps in the room are not equal. Some other rooms in the house have a ceiling fan but this one didn't so I got a "portable" ceiling fan on amazon for just $16.00 and when the temp on the coffee table, is 3 or 4 degrees higher than the bar, I turn on the ceiling fan and soon they're equal, meaning the heat is more evenly dispersed . Seems to be a great setup. I'm heading over towards the bar right now......... LoL

The stove is a Master Forge, sold by Lowe's. I bought from Lowe's because they gave me a ten thousand dollar credit limit. It has an electronic brain with some complicated settings, but I stay basic, and use just four settings, High, Medium high, Low and extra low. I run it on low all the time. I turn it on and off manually as needed. Never run it if I'm not home. Maybe if/when we get temps here closer to zero degrees i might need to run it at a higher temp, but it seems pretty efficient. What's nice is when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV, it's blowing heat on my head, LoL and I've had an ear blockage for a few years now, and seen several doctors, and they say it's plugged, and "try this, try that, take this, take that," and I think the heat is getting me closer, little by little to having it finally open up again. One can hope, i guess! LoL

You do know ----No pictures and it didn't happen
also, does it have a surge protector installed for the stove?

Reactions: Washed-Up
Well, this is just like the Mercedes Benz forum, nobody would believe that I'd bought a Twin Turbo V12 SL600 Renntech equipped, R230 with 740 Horsepower, until I posted pictures, LoL. So here's a picture of the stove. The white thing on the wall is a pretty good quality surge suppressor. I also bought a UPS, it's a 1350-Watt uninterruptible power supply, that is supposed to keep things running a while, if the power goes out, it's been plugged in for a few weeks and I haven't done anything with it yet other than charge my phone once or twice. But it's there and will supply power if the power goes out... How well it works, remains to be seen, but it cost a few hundred bucks...
The bar is pretty well stocked, with about 145 bottles. LoL
There's also a wine fridge crammed full, and a keg machine sitting on top of that, on the other side of the room... Come on Over!!!!!!!!!
My Grand Marnier just ran dry!
The liquor cabinet is an antique from West germany circa 1900.
There's also a wine rack holding 24 bottles in the other living room. Crazy, I know!!! I drink less nowadays, than I used to, so all this might outlast me. LoL, But I have friends who can drink up a storm.
Took a while to do the photos because somehow my computer when receiving the pictures from my phone, turns them all on their side, and i have to rotate them leftwards lopsided and save them and then they come out straight up. Weird! thanks, microsoft.

IMG_20231127_161913200 (1) (1).jpg IMG_20231127_161651371 (1) (1).jpg IMG_20231127_161540524 (1) (1).jpg IMG_20231127_161141382 (1) (1).jpg

I have two brands. Lignetics premium quality, less than 1/2 of 1% ash, from Ace Hardware, about $8.00 a bag, but I had a 20% off coupon,
And "Greentree premium pellet fuel", from Lowe's. There is a store near me called Tractor Supply that has yet a third brand, also supposed to be premium quality, those are $6.99 a bag, I haven't tried those yet. My friend Steve buys pellets by the ton, I think they are still in 40-pound bags, but I don't have the storage space so I buy about ten bags at a time.
Tonyray, are you saying you've got 7 tons of pellets?!
misprint... 5 tons in basement.. just changed it.

Reactions: Could_Be_Warm
My sixteen dollar ceiling fan. Came with five fan blades, you can leave some of them out, or use all of them. Quiet and works well and can be put in a drawer when winter ends, or not.,..

IMG_20231128_111443.jpg