Where's the best place to find an inspector?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hbrookerpr

Dec 3, 2005
New York
I was wondering if there is a society or group of inspectors for customers to use to find a reputable inspector to come inspect wood stove installs? What is the best way to find a qualified professional? What would we expect their services to include?

Thanks a ton!

I have heard of some guy up in Massachusetts. Name is Deer, Moose, Antelope something like that. I understand his business card reads "Have Code Will Travel".

I think inspection is part of the process when you have a permitted install. At least that is the case in my town. You go to city hall, pull a permit for the install, and once the install is done you call them back for a inspection appointment. You need to have everything done before the inspector arrives, and you cannot use the stove until the inspector passes the install.

Palidin to the rescue: Call your town hall ( offices) and ask to speak with the building inspector. Many towns it is his office that does the inspection but you might be in a towwn where it is the fire dept. After you have determined who is inspection in your town plan a visit for the permit application fill it out pay the fee. My town it is $30 and ask when he usually make the inspection( at what point during or after the install) If subcontracting the install, my suggestion is to make final payment upon a sucessfull final inspection.
Should it not pass, you have some money and a barginaging position, to get the installers back to correct what failed

Status
Not open for further replies.