Where's the bottom in splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
you may want to go with something that has a more substantial full length beam under it like the huskee 22 ton which is currently on sale at TSC. This seams to be a very popular model here on the forum. I don't believe the unsupported cylinder on the splitter you referenced is popular. I have an older 25 ton huskee and it has handled everything I have thrown at it, but it has struggled with some of the bigger rounds (36+ inch oak). If you are splitting the big stuff you will want more tonnage.

You'll be using this for however long you live or---you could use it for five years and sell it for what you paid, ---if it's good quality.

Thanks for asking the peanut gallery, I don't know about other folks, but that made me feel really needed and my opinion valued. LOL

+1 on the huskee, from one of the many here that have them.

Yeah, don't waste our money on that thing, a 100 or 200 more you can get the Huskee 22 with less worries, that thing looks a little flimsy......peanuts

Reactions: CenterTree
I always refer to reviews if I'm spending more than $50 on anything these days. That said, seems like some are favorable and some not so much. Seems like it has a few faults and limitations from what I read. Personally I'd spend a few more Franklins and get something tried and true, that way I'm not disappointed. Nothing worse than having to fix crap when I should be processing, my time is limited so I need to be productive when those times present themselves. I got the Troy-Bilt 27 ton with Honda engine from Lowes, 18 mos free financing out the door around $1400 and I am very pleased with my purchase. I was close to the Huskee 22 ton but some iffy reviews on the B&S steered me to the one I got. Just my .02

Exactly the input I was hoping for! As Chumley said, my time is also limited so $200 cheaper may end up not being so.

That thing only splits horizontally. Half a splitter. Since 1988 my splitter has split horizontally exactly twice.

Reactions: osagebow
That thing only splits horizontally. Half a splitter. Since 1988 my splitter has split horizontally exactly twice.

Bart, are you referring to the Earhquake, or the TSC/Huskee/Speeco? The TSC goes vertical, I believe...

As a staunch and opinionated member of the peanut gallery I have no opinion apart from looking askance at all hydraulic splitters.

No shock there... but I'm in a position where I can't do enough single-handedly :) to meet my needs. I love my Fiskars but have to get more done in the limited time I have.

Bart, are you referring to the Earhquake, or the TSC/Huskee/Speeco? The TSC goes vertical, I believe...

The one in the OP.

BTW: Tell Bigg_Redd to tie on hand behind his back and see what he thinks of hyro splitters then. >>

The one in the OP.

BTW: Tell Bigg_Redd to tie on hand behind his back and see what he thinks of hyro splitters then. >>

After more investigation, I see why the one in the OP could end up being a POS. Further, there is a TSC 2 miles from my home.

Reactions: osagebow
I know this sounds like crazy talk, but have you tried "working harder"?

Well, I asked for input from the peanut gallery, and that's what I got.

I'd be thrilled to work twice as hard as I do, but need to seek leverage and efficiency, not brute force.

What ever happened to all the hoopla on Troy-Bilt 27 T trunnion cylinders snapping? Seems it has gone away.
If I had to do it again I would look for a full beam splitter, but mine has not missed a beat - knock on particle board.

Huskee is $50 off at TSC right now. That will ~ cover your tax. Making the net difference between the cheapo earthquake and the huskee 22 ton that is proven and well liked on this forum ~$200.

Peanut gallery out!

Too bad Menards isn't in your area. I got this for $700 plus tax after a in store credit of $200. I like it. image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Right now the Dirty Hand Tools 22-ton splitter with 11 second cycle time would be my entry level splitter. It's very similar to the TSC Huskee but it does have a few nicer details.

http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Dirty-Hand-Tools-100171-Log-Splitter/p11198.html

You also have the option of free "ship to store" at your Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dirty-Ha...og-Splitter-100171/204642906#customer_reviews
Who would service one of those if need be?

Right now the Dirty Hand Tools 22-ton splitter with 11 second cycle time would be my entry level splitter. It's very similar to the TSC Huskee but it does have a few nicer details.

http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Dirty-Hand-Tools-100171-Log-Splitter/p11198.html

You also have the option of free "ship to store" at your Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dirty-Ha...og-Splitter-100171/204642906#customer_reviews

Seems to me DHT was promoting those through Menards at several hundred less than is listed in the links Tree Pointer, quite a value then.

Status
Not open for further replies.