Where's the wood-burning A/C?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grommal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2009
Eastern PA
As I listen to the heat pump churn, and watch the electric meter spin, it makes we wish for a wood-fired A/C unit.

In big older houses (think Scarlet O'hara) there was actually a neat little set-up where you would start a fire (usually gas) through a jet at the top of the house, thereby creating an artificial breeze through the house via updraft.

One of my friend is a Boiler Operator for some Building of the Canadian Army, and some AC units are run via the main building boiler. So it does exist..... Maybe soon they will get one out, affordable that you can hook up to a boiler...... maybe you should try this post in the boiler room

It has something to do with engaging the flux capacitor, timing of the fetzer valve, along with obtaining the correct size ball-bearings to make it all work...

Absorption chilling is an entirely viable way of cooling. Many of the large buildings in NY are cooled with steam from the citie's district heating system. My former employer used to assemble standalone Cogeneration units that generated electricity and then took the exhaust waste heat and ran an absorbtion chiller to generate chilled water. One of the last ones we built was installed in the Transamerica building in San Francisco.

An absorption chiller doesnt care where the heat comes from as long as its the right temp. There would be no reason why a wood fired boiler couldnt work. There are a couple of reasons why you dont see them in home use;

the biggest issue is up front cost, the system would require a lot of cash up front as there are lots of parts and components; the efficiency of the units are a lot lower than a regular AC cycle easilly 1/2 to 1/3 as much; ongoing maintenance would be a lot higher. I dont see these changing anytime soon.

Our AC bill is so much lower than our heating bill... well before wood heat, anyways, that I never even thought to replace it. We cut 30-35% off our annual electric costs with the stove, I'm happy. I honestly, except for frozen pipes, could live much better without heat then without AC.. Norwegian blood runs thick in my veins.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
It has something to do with engaging the flux capacitor, timing of the fetzer valve, along with obtaining the correct size ball-bearings to make it all work...

Don't forget the antifreeze. You will need 10 quarts of antifreeze, preferably Prestone. No, make that Quaker State.

Sen. John Blutarsky - 05 June 2010 11:14 PM
It has something to do with engaging the flux capacitor, timing of the fetzer valve, along with obtaining the correct size ball-bearings to make it all work…

Don’t forget the antifreeze. You will need 10 quarts of antifreeze, preferably Prestone. No, make that Quaker State

What size johnson rod does that unit need?

anyone ever heard of a 3 way fridg for your campers ?
;-)
so how do we make it wood fired ?
rn

Status
Not open for further replies.