Which are the best quality gas stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viper7721

Oct 21, 2006
I know there may not be a true "best" gas stove. But which gas stoves are considered to be extremely high quality?

Yea your right, there isnt a true best stove.
They mosty all use the same valve, the nova sit 820 (the brain of the stove)
They mostly all use pan or gel cast burners these days. (sweet looking burn)
There all of course direct vent for the most part.
They all have ceramic logs instead of concrete. (whoo hooo!!)
The all have ceramic glass (the best at transferring infrared heat)
There all thermostat capable. (millivolt systems)

So what to look out for?
The most sought after castings are typically european or american
Tube burners are out, not many make them any more.
Controls on the top/back of the stove is a nice feature
What style and color do you like best? Thats probably the biggest deciding factor.

The style I like best is antique style, like the Quadra-Fire Topaz and the Vermont Castings Radiance.

Also check out the Enviro Fire Westport, Lexington Forge Concorde, and Jotul Models. But most importantly - choose one that is supplied by a local dealer who can service it.

Ok, between the Quadra-Fire Topaz and the Jotul Firelight, which is considered to be better quality?

"Considered to be" is the tough part - by who?

As MSG mentioned, many use similar internal componenets. Using MSG's opinion (and, in general, mine), the Jotul castings should be better and more detailed than the Chinese ones (assuming Quad uses China...which I would think they do)....

Of course, the difference has gotten less in recent years as China stuff is much improved....and, you might like one "look" better than the other, so the exact grain of a castings might not be important. The average person would probably not even notice the difference.

viper7721 said:
Quadra-Fire is cast in China? Are you sure? I thought it was an American made product.

To make iron castings, you need a foundry....a place to pour molten iron. To my knowledge Quad does not have one of these at their factory - they make mostly steel stoves. The castings are almost surely imported. In fact, some dealers here reported that entire Quad stoves (even steel and pellet) are going to be made in China this year.

For now, my guess is that any iron castings come from China. That is a guess - perhaps a Quad dealer can confirm.

At one time, the same company that owned Quad also imported cast stoves from Europe (Dovre), so it is possible castings are sourced in Europe. However, very few West Coast companies would do that, because the freight is much higher and china is relatively close (in terms of freight and product cost).

Again, this is not a comment on total stove quality. The average person would find it difficult, if not impossible, to tell the difference between a good china casting and an American or European one. It does so happen that Jotul and Vermont Castings are "stove only" founderies and make exceptional stove castings.

Webmaster said:
It does so happen that Jotul and Vermont Castings are "stove only" founderies and make exceptional stove castings.

Wait a second. I am confused here. I thought Vermont Castings quality has dropped because they were bought out by some big company, and they are now made in China. At least that is what I have heard. I know their BBQs are sold at Home Depot now.

Are you 100% sure Vermont Castings is not cast in China? Are you 100% sure Jotul is not cast in China?

Vermont castings are casted in VT. However, they outsourced their BBQ grills - to china....mostly stainless steel.
They are also now making steel stoves in China.

But Vermont Castings stoves are still made in the Randolph plant and the Bethel assembly.

Jotul is in Norway - stoves are cast there - some totally cast and assembled and others sent here in pieces to be assembled in Portland, ME.

Webmaster said:
But Vermont Castings stoves are still made in the Randolph plant and the Bethel assembly.

Are you sure about that? Cause I had one dealer (who didn't carry VC) say that it is cast in China. And I had another dealer (who did carry VC) say that it is cast in Canada.

Seems like there is a lot of confusion as to where VC stoves are really cast.

The parent company, CFM is in canada. They make prefab fireplaces and other steel stuff there. CFM owns VC.

The BBQ's might be cast in China...I know the stainless parts of them are made there. But I am certain that it is full speed ahead in VT on the stove castings.

I dunno, with all the stuff I have heard and read, I am now wary of buying a Vermont Castings stove. I think I am gonna stick with either Quadra-Fire or Jotul instead.

Thanks for the information everyone. I appreciate it.

viper7721 said:
I dunno, with all the stuff I have heard and read, I am now wary of buying a Vermont Castings stove. I think I am gonna stick with either Quadra-Fire or Jotul instead.

Thanks for the information everyone. I appreciate it.

I'm curious viper, what is the bad stuff you have heard about VC stoves?

BrotherBart said:
I'm curious viper, what is the bad stuff you have heard about VC stoves?

Well I have heard from two stove dealers (who don't carry VC) that the quality has dropped considerably, and therefore they won't carry VC stoves. Also I have read stuff on this forum, and reviews on this website, that make me think that VC might not be a wise choice. Also the fact that pretty much all stove makers use steel fireboxes, whereas VC uses cast iron. And from what I have read, steel is a more durable material for a firebox and won't crack like cast iron can.

All these things lead me to believe that VC might not be the right choice for me.

Vermont Castings might still be great stoves, and all this negative stuff might just be hearsay, but I am definitely wary about buying a VC stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.