which boiler to get? CB 4436 or CB1400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdubs20

Nov 2, 2014
Northern NY
I'm looking at a few used boilers. CB 4436 is 15 years old asking $1500obo and a CB 1400 5 years old asking $3800. Which one would you guys get? The 4436 is only 8 miles away and the 1400 is a 3 hours away.

After burning a conventional for 5 years then going to a gasser last year I vote very much for the 1400.

Be very careful about buying a used OWB though. That's likely more than I would spend on a 5 year old one - with no real way of knowing how well it was looked after & used.

That is true its tough to tell if they treated the lines or not or how bad it has/is rusted inside

Niether CB's are marginal when new.
If they were to pay you to haul them away you might take a chance on one of them.
Just think of the expense to get it to your place,hook it up, get it filled and operating.Then in the middle of heating season it craps out.Then you have all the expenses again when you hook up the new gasifier that you should have bought in the first place.
That used water heater just got expensive,and raised the cost of your new boiler.
Not to mention the stress it caused you,which is another expense that you should avoid.Too much stress will rot your brain and leave you susceptible to other illnesses and brain issues.
Just my .02 cents
Thomas

Stay away from the CB stuff, unless, of course, you consider yourself to be a skilled welder with all of the associated tools and equipment and a proficient electrician and hydrologist. This will help you to install and build the system so it will work for you and also to make the repairs that you will need to make.
The Weimar

Status
Not open for further replies.