Which Brand of Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacques909

Aug 2, 2013
Maine
Hi everyone, I'm new to the wood pellet/pellet stoves and I'm curios to what brand of pellets people are buying that live in Maine and where they are buying them from?

Welcome to the forum my friend not from Maine, but plenty of folks here are and they can help you out. You might want to put what brand stove you have in your signature. :)

Depends on where you live and what is being offered to ya. Get us that info and we might be able to point you in the right direction. But your stove will tell you what it likes to eat.

I live in Pittsfield, Maine. I Haven't bought the stove yet but leaning towards a Harman p61. Today I went to Saint Albans stove shop in Palmyra and they are offering a ton of Crabbe pellets with the purchase of a new stove.

I Haven't bought the stove yet but leaning towards a Harman p61
Great choice! Harman's are not pellet picky will burn whatever you toss in the hopper, some pellets are more ashy than others.

Picking a non fuel fussy stove can take a lot of the buyers remorse out both the purchase of the stove and pellets in the years to come. So what if you have a bit more ash. With the Harman p series it means you may have to empty the ash bin in less than a ton and a quick sweep of the firebox. :)

Hancock Lumber in Pittsfield sells pellets.
Do you know what kind and how much, and if they deliver? I'm going to have to find a dealer that delivers pellets.

I see that some people used SIB? Is it true that this guy delivers statewide? does he charge delivery fee? I see that MWP $224 a ton.

Do you know what kind and how much, and if they deliver? I'm going to have to find a dealer that delivers pellets.

I see that some people used SIB? Is it true that this guy delivers statewide? does he charge delivery fee? I see that MWP $224 a ton.

I believe the Hancock lumber near me carries MWP Blend. Great pellet in my Harman P61. I used them exclusively last year. I bought mine from SIB. Gotta love buying a pellet made in Maine, and from a small Maine business. SIB delivers to another forum member who lives in Millinocket. Delivery charge varies depending on your location and is VERY reasonable. Not sure what he charges for Pittsfield but he charges $25 to my place which is about 50 miles away.

Among other reasons, I chose the P61A so I don't have to worry as much about what pellets I buy. Bioburner, hit it right on the head. What does a LITTLE more ash matter with the P series? I tend to HAVE to empty the ash bin after around 40 bags or so with MWP blend.

I believe the Hancock lumber near me carries MWP Blend. Great pellet in my Harman P61. I used them exclusively last year. I bought mine from SIB. Gotta love buying a pellet made in Maine, and from a small Maine business. SIB delivers to another forum member who lives in Millinocket. Delivery charge varies depending on your location and is VERY reasonable. Not sure what he charges for Pittsfield but he charges $25 to my place which is about 50 miles away.

Among other reasons, I chose the P61A so I don't have to worry as much about what pellets I buy. Bioburner, hit it right on the head. What does a LITTLE more ash matter with the P series? I tend to HAVE to empty the ash bin after around 40 bags or so with MWP blend.

Good to know, thanks! I just called home depot in Waterville the women said that they have Fireside and Athens pellets for $219 a ton. (Dumb question but Athens pellets are Maine Woods Pellets CO.?) A $65 for delivery with in 25 miles. I called Maine Woods Pellet company they said $235 a ton which includes delivery in the price. But she could not tell me when they could deliver b/c they wait until the truck is full 12 tons and going to my area. I will try calling SIB to see what they have.

Do people here have good luck with using Athens wood pellets? I have read some good and bad reviews. That bad reviews were dated a few years back though.

Do people here have good luck with using Athens wood pellets? I have read some good and bad reviews. That bad reviews were dated a few years back though.
I have really good luck with them. Good price point, good heat, fairly clean burn. No clinkers. I have burned both the soft and the mixed. The mixed might be a little hotter,but not worth the extra $ to me. Other can tell you their stories. Like any pellet, results vary.

When they first started up, they were awful. Most people took them back to where they bought them. And most people referred to them as Athens pellets. Now they're a decent pellet. And most people refer to them as MWP. Like mepellet, I put about 3 tons through my P61 last year with the rest being the softwood like Save$. Also like him, the softwood (he said mixed) isn't worth the extra $ to me either.

Reactions: save$
When they first started up, they were awful. Most people took them back to where they bought them. And most people referred to them as Athens pellets. Now they're a decent pellet. And most people refer to them as MWP. Like mepellet, I put about 3 tons through my P61 last year with the rest being the softwood like Save$. Also like him, the softwood (he said mixed) isn't worth the extra $ to me either.
Thanks, you got my story right. The mixed is the best value.

Status
Not open for further replies.