Which brand pellets would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmaine

Apr 4, 2009
USA
Hi all, If I could get these brands of pellets for the same price which would you choose. OK, ROCKY MOUNTAIN, NORTHERN, POTOMAC.
These are all listed as premium pellets. I can get any of these for the same price, but have never burned pellets before, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I just picked up a Harman P68 and need to order pellets.
Thanks for your help and input
JB

ain't many members posting here in the off season, ask a question like that come fall and you'll get a hundred opinions.

I've burned both Rocky Mountain and OK and they are both excellent! I would probably purchase OK, but I bought 3 tons of Lignetics earlier this year.

I know nothing of Northern or Potomac

I've burned Okagandan, Rocky Mountain and Northern. They were all good and the prices in May were identical at $285 a ton. Interestingly, OK stayed at the same price from mid-April and and Northern went up from $279 to $285. I don't have the April price for Rocky Mountain. These prices are all from the same dealer.

They were similar but maybe OK and Rocky Mountain were almost identical.

I think I may prefer Okagandan. Or maybe I've been brainwashed by BTU? (We should give OK a couple of extra points in overtime or all the self-restraint may make the poor guy burst!)

Thanks everyone, Our local Lowes just started to carry the Potomac pellets. From what I understand they are made from southern yellow pine. Sounds like I should stick to a known " good" brand like OK.
Thanks again
JB

Btu's don't mean much if you get half a bag of fines. One reason why I won't buy pellets from a box store, they are handled way too much.

This is from previous postings about Rocky Mountain. Tried them with 8 bags first. burnt really nice, no clinkers nice heat and just a little more ash than my somersets. product is consistant since the pellets come from the same source. I asked if I bought 10 ton if I would get a discount. They dropped the price from $4.99 to $4.25/bag so I jumped on it. Ended up buying 12 ton, 6 went to my dad and 1/2 ton went to my wifes coworker.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/36536/

Potomac Pellets from Lowes in a St Croix Insert 5 th year heating with it

Im trying them today. Im looking for a "find" in the pellet market.

Have been burning Armstrong Douglas Fir for 2 years but looking for a chaper alternative.

Ill let you all know.

pks4000 said:
Potomac Pellets from Lowes in a St Croix Insert 5 th year heating with it

Im trying them today. Im looking for a "find" in the pellet market.

Have been burning Armstrong Douglas Fir for 2 years but looking for a chaper alternative.

Ill let you all know.

Where have been getting the Armstrong Douglas fir pellets? What have they been going for?

Just curious! ;-)
jay

I got them at Robbins Garden Center in Oxford
Paid 900+ for 3 toins delivered last year

Just now I bought a ton of Lignetics

Status
Not open for further replies.