which brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pict

Sep 1, 2007
oklahoma
Which brush set should I be looking to buy-the wire or poly brush?
Is one better than the other?
Stainless chimney.

I recently purchaed a Rutland 6" Round stiff Poly #16906. It is very very stiff! It says "oil tempered spring wire", but I'm not sure what it's referring to. Perhaps someone could comment if this is the best choice for a round SS 6" flue. There was also a version that didn't say "Sitff" at the Start Hardware store.

Sounds like the wrong brush was in the box. Is the brush you got black plastic. The oil tempered spring wire is the metal version.

James

There is an ongoing debate. Either brush will do. The metal are usually stiffer for more stubborn cleaning. Mines steel and rated right on the box for clay or s.s. liners.
Plus I can use it if I need to in a pinch while the pipe is still warm or hot.

Edit: I did use it mid winter last winter due to wet wood, and build up on the lst foot of pipe outside the old chimney. Worked good. What bit of creosote that fell down burned up right nice. ;)

Same one I have. Only I can't find the box now. I think my wife must have tossed it. I also have a metal one and tried it on the SS. Seems ok to me. I purchased the poly one just to be sure though.

James

Now, here's a question for ye all, how do I sweep my chimney with a brush-it's straight up and down.
Osburn 2200 stove.
Will the creosote fall down into the stove if i run it down from the top?
Seems like it might collect on the top baffle plate...........I'm ignorant of the proper procedure.

pict said:
Now, here's a question for ye all, how do I sweep my chimney with a brush-it's straight up and down.
Osburn 2200 stove.
Will the creosote fall down into the stove if i run it down from the top?
Seems like it might collect on the top baffle plate...........I'm ignorant of the proper procedure.

You should be able to remove the baffle plate so that the creosote, ash etc, falls back into the stove. Then vacuum or scoop out the crap, reinstall baffle plate, and back to burning.

if you have a stainless liner, a poly brush is 'supposed' to be better.

because, they SAY a steel brush will scratch the inside of your liner, and create more surface area for creosote to cling to.

But, now, I installed my own stainless liner, and that is some HARD shizzle my friend.

I think you can use which-ever brush you want, and with proper stove operating practices be just fine.

I have a $12 poly brush and 60' of ski rope to clean mine.

pict said:
Which brush set should I be looking to buy-the wire or poly brush?
Is one better than the other?
Stainless chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.