which cap should i use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdowd

Aug 4, 2008
LI NY
great forum i have jotul 450 insert installed with 6 in liner shoved into a rectangeler clay lined chimeney,at times i have a poor draft I am having a full flex liner installed the top part of the steel fire box will be cut out to allow a proper installation, there will be a top & botom plate installed does it matter what top of cap is used the installer recomends a rectanguler cap would a round mushroom style cap ofer any benefits

i forgot to mention that the origanal 6in section is only 5ft long any opinions on how the full liner will help & would installing an outside air conection be worth the efort

Welcome. Going with a full liner should help a lot, especially if it is not flattened going through the damper area. Be sure the chimney is thoroughly cleaned first. If this is an exterior chimney, insulating the liner can also help improve draft.

As for the cap, both ways will work. Here is a site with some options shown in their flexible liner components sections:

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=132

I prefer the style of flue cap that has a lip that hangs over the edge of the flue pipe or chimney an inch or more.

Rectangular caps are often used to make the chimney look a little better - i.e. instead of a shanty cap on the liner sticking up, the installer can cut of the liner a few inches above the tile and install a standard masonry chimney cap.

I think either cap should work well and that the full liner will VASTLY improve the draft and stove operation.

thanks for the replies, after seeing both caps the installer brought by I'll go with the rectangular one. well the new liner wil be installed tomorrow, he removed the 5ft section that was bent up pretty good,& with allot of build up after only 2 seasons. After trying to cut out a section of the steel fire box with cut off wheels & a saws-all he's returning with a torch to finish the job

Status
Not open for further replies.