Which chimney cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubookz

Jun 2, 2011
British Columbia
The cap the dealer gave me is the basic cap, ICC Excel have a heavier cap with a band around it, also available. Is there a performance difference between the 2? the basic one does not have the band.

Attachments

• EDRC_Thumb(1).jpg
    EDRC_Thumb(1).jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 276
  • ERC_Thumb(1).jpg
    ERC_Thumb(1).jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 271
The deluxe cap is heavier gauge stainless steel, .025 instead of .016 for the regular cap. The band looks like a critter guard.

My excel origanly had the regular cap. Where my house is situated the winds used to whip through that cap causing the chimney to pull to hard. My dealer changed out the cap to a deluxe. That band made a night and day difference. I personally felt that it really wouldn't do anything swapping caps but I stand corrected.

Interesting, I was wondering how effective a wind guard it would be.

BeGreen said:
Interesting, I was wondering how effective a wind guard it would be.

My thoughts exactly BeGreen. The band actually looks bigger in person than it does by the brochure pic.

I agree: a wind guard and a critter block.

Status
Not open for further replies.