Which chimney system is best?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC_Double

Feb 13, 2008
SW Ohio
I am sure this question has been asked before... Tried searching and could not find the answer I was looking for.

We have pretty much decided to either get the Quadra-Fire Cumberland gap or the Morso 3610. So I am moving on to which chimney system to get.

I plan on using double wall stove pipe indoors and a triple wall system on the exterior. I had also planned on using Duravent products. After talking to the local stove dealer, he is pushing the Excel system. He says it is far superior to the Duravent products.

What do you all think? Is Duravent a nice product or I am better off with the Excel?

I think that's nonsense. Having seen and used both of them, I'd have a hard time saying either was "far superior." Both great pipe, don't get me wrong, but I don't see one that far ahead of the other. You'll have a good, safe piping system with either brand, that's for sure.

I have no way of evaluating what I have been told. In shopping at a few dealers, I had one recommend Selkirk Metalbestos, and say they quit using Duravent because of "ill-fitting" joints.

Another totally separate dealer far removed from the first told me they like Excel chimney. Said the Excel stuff for high temp is tested to a higher standard than the other high temp brands. Said Excel (becuase it started as an "industrial" chimjey) is tested for three "30 minute" fires at 2100 degrees, whereas most hight emp stuff is tested for three "10 minute" burns as minimum required by the standards boards.

Like I say, I am just a consumer who has been told various things. I do think one can go to Excel website to see if the deal about the three "30 minute" tests is true. As to Duravent "ill-fitting" joints, I have no idea, even of how old that supposed info dated from.

The Simpson Duravent is a triple wall design for the Class-A chimney system. It uses airspace for insulation.

-SF

Pook you asked the same thing in another thread and I told you what SlyFerret said basically.... gah!
I wish that people who don't know what they are talking about would just refrain from posting...

Anyway, we only use the Simpson venting products and they have been great for us. Seems to be constrcted well, easy to install, good catalogs and install manauls, good customer support.

Just FYI

Simpson Duravent is a venting company.

Simpson Duratech is double wall, ceramic blanket insulated chimney.

Simpson Duraplus is triple wall, ceramic blanket (thinner) and AIR cooled chimney.

Simpson DVL is double wall stovepipe.

Simpson Durablack is single wall stovepipe.

So if I go with the cumberland gap, is the Duraplus going to work for the exterior or should I just use the Duratech? I planned on using the DVL for the inside.

Either the DuraTech or DuraPlus would work. The DuraPlus has an insulation wrap AND and air insulation chamber. Added safety and keeps the flue warmer supposedly. There are many thread of "tech" vs "plus" on the forums already.

TAC_Double said:
So if I go with the cumberland gap, is the Duraplus going to work for the exterior or should I just use the Duratech? I planned on using the DVL for the inside.

It doesn't matter which brand of chimney you choose to use as long as the chimney system is a Class A system tested to the UL103 Type HT standard. Brand choice will be determined by your local resources. If you can get everything you need in a particular brand of pipe and it matches the above requirements (Type HT) then go for it. Note: this comment is appropriate for free-standing wood stoves only. Other types of systems (for instance, zero-clearance fireplaces) have differing chimney requirements.

We used Selkirk from Lowes and it fit flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.