1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Which direction to stack?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by KB007, Jan 18, 2014.

1. KB007

KB007 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've never thought about this until I was walking around our stacks today but, which direction works better for stacking: Parallel with the prevailing wind or perpendicular to the prevailing wind? Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I stack on pallets, so have 2 rows per pallet with a space in between the 2 on the same pallet with a tractor width between the pallet rows.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    The amount of sun exposure you can get onto your pile has significantly more to due with it. So long as the breeze can carry away the moisture you will be fine. Extra space under lets the moisture fall out of your pile when the breeze isn't blowing and the sun isn't heating.
  3. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    How's about bark up or bark down? ;lol

I stack almost the same exact way KB, wind swirls in my yard so it probably doesn't matter much. Couple stacks out in the open get hit with the wind mostly from the side.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  4. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    I find stacking in the upward direction works well. ==c
  5. aussiedog3

aussiedog3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Bark up.
    milleo likes this.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I always figured trying for a specific direction to stack my wood would put me solidly into the Crazy Wood Guy category and some of my neighbors already joke about the amount of wood Ihave without me trying to tell them I am now using a compass to align my stacks to the prevailing wind or most sunlight exposure.

Crazy as it sounds . . . double stacked . . . up on pallets . . . outside for a year, inside the shed for a year . . . wood seems to burn quite well.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Our prevailing wind is SW. We stack mostly N/S but are not against angling it a bit either.

If one keeps in mind that air circulation is what is needed most for drying, it then becomes easier to know which direction to stack. You want that wind to hit the sides of the stacks and go through it. That will dry the wood the best.
    Macpolski and Sinngetreu like this.
  8. nmaho

nmaho New Member

Loc:
    Ma
    I just go with what I can stack between trees out in the woods,I don't think wife would want wood stacked in yard on the grass.Whatever keeps you out of trouble....
  9. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    In a perfect world having the prevailing with blow through the stacks will provide the most surface area convection(all other things being equal) and subsequently providing the best/fastest drying but... In a more perfect world get so far ahead direction of stacking matters very little and just give it more time.

3yrs seems to be the going rate of time for this program with more yrs being better.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    didn't really think about it when I started my stacks. stacks run pretty much east and west....winds come from the northwest or southwest for the most part. at least they are facing into the sun.....until the leaves come out. :cool:
  11. lml999

lml999 Member

Loc:
    Metrowest Boston
    How I stack the wood isn't going to have much impact on the amount of trouble I'm in. :)
  12. lml999

lml999 Member

Loc:
    Metrowest Boston
    +1
  13. soupy1957

soupy1957 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Direction? I'm more concerned about COVERAGE!! Those dang tarps I bought are letting moisture thru somehow.............Lately I've been digging thru the stacks to find DRY wood!!

I've been taking the wood in the house in batches, and letting them dry in the living room where the wood stove is............meaning that now I have a two-stage process, from pile to fire.

Gotta build a shed next year!! Anyone wanna come over and help?

-Soupy1957
  14. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    I switched over to roof tar sheets. give it a go! works much better than tarps