Which esp - red or black wires - for P61a board upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would assume if you got an upgrade e board that it was made since 2010 and would take the newer ESP with the red wires.

Last edited:
If the board has the dip switches then it won't matter as you can change the dip switch #5 to OFF for all other than red I believe.

Attachments

• scan0015.pdf
    238.3 KB · Views: 154
Correct me if i am wrong but I think the P38 and P61A take the same upgrade board. And it's set up for black wire ESP. But as Bioburner says in the instructions that came with mine you can change the dip switch for red wired ESP..

This question is in reference to a control board change.. I recently changed the board to the upgrade e board..(problems with the room/stove switch) and installed a new ignitor..
When I first changed boards.. I went by the diagrams for setting switches.. and my distribution blower ran continuously as soon as the stove was plugged in. However there was No Ignitor or feed.. I re-read all the little notes and changed a few switches.. (none that said anything about the dist. blower) and now the dist. blower never kicks in. I have sw # 5 set to "off" because I have black esp wires.

I am SO confused now.. ;-) I am hoping that someone here has had a similar problem. Dist blower runs after a while when in TEST mode.. so its not seized up.. and like I said.. it ran constantly before I changed switch settings.. but, no amount of heat turns it on. The esp is not all that old.. and its been cleaned and checked before I started it this time.

Any ideas welcome..

Thanks in Advance!

This question is in reference to a control board change.. I recently changed the board to the upgrade e board..(problems with the room/stove switch) and installed a new ignitor..
When I first changed boards.. I went by the diagrams for setting switches.. and my distribution blower ran continuously as soon as the stove was plugged in. However there was No Ignitor or feed.. I re-read all the little notes and changed a few switches.. (none that said anything about the dist. blower) and now the dist. blower never kicks in. I have sw # 5 set to "off" because I have black esp wires.

I am SO confused now.. ;-) I am hoping that someone here has had a similar problem. Dist blower runs after a while when in TEST mode.. so its not seized up.. and like I said.. it ran constantly before I changed switch settings.. but, no amount of heat turns it on. The esp is not all that old.. and its been cleaned and checked before I started it this time.

Any ideas welcome..

Thanks in Advance!
For starters may want to fill in signature so the rest of us can know what stove you have and its age etc. Important things to know as the models are a bit different and age is too. Maybe give us a picture of all the switches so we are all on the page. I am leaning towards bad ESP
Welcome

For starters may want to fill in signature so the rest of us can know what stove you have and its age etc. Important things to know as the models are a bit different and age is too. Maybe give us a picture of all the switches so we are all on the page. I am leaning towards bad ESP
Welcome
Thanks for your reply Bioburner!

It was my first day on the thread and after hours of reading I just popped in that note! I have to say I HAVE LOVED my Harman P61a since it was installed back in January of 2004! Until the last 2 years.. ;-) It seems to have gotten persnickety and I even went to a dealer last year to check out the new models. He talked me into keeping this one.. said they should last a good twenty years.. so I did.. but, after having several service calls where they simply clean..start it up.. watch it run..Hand me the bill.. and leave.. I decided that *I* could do better.. (sheesh) SO I have done some trouble shooting and read a LOT on them.. and all within the last year have changed the ESP, the Control Board, and the Ignitor!

I think I have even tackled the Distribution blower problem that I mention in that last post.

However NOW when I set it up on Auto and room temp.. within 55 minutes.. I get that darned 6 blink error that is supposed to mean its an incomplete burn, but I use Green Team pellets this year and they burn super clean.. soooo now I am stumped again.. We are currently running it on "stove, or continuous burn" settings.. but I would LOVE to be able to set it on auto and room temp again, so that my distribution blower kicks in because I feel that setting is just more efficient.

Can that 6 blink error be caused by anything else? the manual doesn't give the best details.. and I am hoping someone else might have had this type of problem.

Cheaper

Reactions: wsrogers57
Your problem does sound like an ESP issue but with the change up of the board you may have changed a dip switch and not realized yet .#1- Do yourself a favor and look in the burn pot and tell me if the air distribution holes are within a 1-1/2 inches of the auger tube . #2 - check the auger tube close to the burn pot at about 5-7 oclock position is there a slight hole developing - it will look like a crack ? The stove needs to be clean #1 then check for these 2 conditions and get back with what you find . [email protected] is my email

Status
Not open for further replies.