Which gasket should I replace? (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I just noticed this nasty stuff :gulp:

Also, should the glass have any play in it as I push on it with my finger?

Attachments

• Door 3c.jpg
    Door 3c.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 397
Diabel said:
I just noticed this nasty stuff :gulp:

Also, should the glass have any play in it as I push on it with my finger?

The window gasket on my stove (also VC/DW) was the first to fail (and be replaced). When you do replace it, be advised it is a smaller gasket than most of the others on the stove, such as the door gasket just a few inches away. Good news is that its very easy to replace.

Its a 3/16" gasket. You can get the kit from VC for it, its a #0003427

Thanks guys,

I just picked up a gasket kit. Might as well replace them both. I also noticed that the griddle gasket is starting to flake.. fibers are coming through the wire mesh. I thought this gasket was to last a long time!! Anyhow, it comes in the gasket kit & will be replaced. Warmer weather is coming this way for the weekend..it will be a good time to do it.

Yep, a friend of mine is just replacing the griddle gasket for the first time before he starts his season. It did last longer than others since it has that wire mesh and is designed to be 'banged on' more than most. I dont think they sell that style in rolls, but the normal 3/8" gaskets you can buy in bulk rolls and save yourself a fair amount of money in the long run vs. buying the kits which have a significant markup in most cases.

BurningIsLove said:
Yep, a friend of mine is just replacing the griddle gasket for the first time before he starts his season. It did last longer than others since it has that wire mesh and is designed to be 'banged on' more than most. I dont think they sell that style in rolls, but the normal 3/8" gaskets you can buy in bulk rolls and save yourself a fair amount of money in the long run vs. buying the kits which have a significant markup in most cases.

Yeah, $40.00 later & the gaskets are not even cut to size i.e. 3/8" (door & ash pan). I already looked into getting the mesh by foot but as you said, it only comes in a kit.

You can get the mesh by the foot. I know only becuase we sell it by the foot. Check the local stove shops.

STOVEGUY11 said:
You can get the mesh by the foot. I know only becuase we sell it by the foot. Check the local stove shops.

I admit I only check one shop...sometime ago someone was selling regular gasket by the foot on ebay!!

So I took out the glass from the doors & the old gasket just came out, it was not cemented at all, not even in spots. Should I apply a bit of silicone or cement to the new gaskets?
Thanks

Done! Replaced the the glass door gaskets..piece of cake. Replaced the griddle gasket..piece of cake. The glass door gasket still looked in a decent shape, just flat & surprisingly not glued anywhere. The wire mesh griddle gasket looked beat up strangely after two seasons!

I also noticed that the ash pan door (replaced gasket last year) in the top hinge side corner was a bit black, I'm assuming it is leaking air a bit. I loosened the top two bolts that hold the door & repositioned them a bit. I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully I didn't make it worse.

Total job took 45min.

Status
Not open for further replies.