Which Husky Saw for milling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
This summer, I intend to cut down some Oak trees I've tagged on my property not for firewood but for lumber. Specifically for a mantle & a couple tables. The trees are about 16"-18" in diameter at the base.

I've been watching youtube videos of guys making their own mill. Some clever enough to place an extension ladder to be used as a guide for the first cut. My question is, what's a good saw that will handle multiple long-grain cuts through 16" of solid oak? Reason why I want to stay with husky is there's a dealer right next door.

3120, is that a trick question? I didn't see cost explicitly mentioned in your post.

The very biggest you can afford....Bigger is better in milling. Not so in cross cutting.

3120XP

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

You sure that saw has enough cc's?

Husky 3120 - 118.8cc, Stihl 088 is 121.6 cc Husky 8.4HP Stihl 8.6 HP

Its a tough choice,they are the biggest & most powerful saws made today,less than 1/2 pound weight difference & roughly $30 retail price between them.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Seems to me and I dont know anything but milling, should it be north of 120'cc? Do they make a big bore for that saw?

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Seems to me and I dont know anything but milling should be north of 120'cc? Do they make a big bore for that saw?

Not that I'm aware of. I wouldnt turn away the thought of a decent Stihl 090 (137 cc) or McCulloch SP125 (125cc) either if the chance comes up & my bank account agrees....They can be pretty pricey when available I found out though."Collectors" & other demand help with that lol

Just those older saws arent as fast,Stihl is only 6500,McCulluch not much different.My Poulan 475 is 13,500RPM no load,9600 when cutting.Once & a while its a bit sluggish on various oaks & hickory over 24".I just watch it,keep air filters clean & give it a rest after 2-3 hrs milling (I need one by then too haha)

How about the 395xp? I've seen a couple guys running these on an Alaskan Saw Mill. Looks like there are deals out there for this saw under $1000.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Seems to me and I dont know anything but milling should be north of 120'cc? Do they make a big bore for that saw?

Not that I'm aware of. I wouldnt turn away the thought of a decent Stihl 090 (137 cc) or McCulloch SP125 (125cc) either if the chance comes up & my bank account agrees....They can be pretty pricey when available I found out though."Collectors" & other demand help with that lol

Just those older saws arent as fast,Stihl is only 6500,McCulluch not much different.My Poulan 475 is 13,500RPM no load,9600 when cutting.Once & a while its a bit sluggish on various oaks & hickory over 24".I just watch it,keep air filters clean & give it a rest after 2-3 hrs milling (I need one by then too haha)

Just throwing raseberrys...lol 090 would be a dream mill. Hate to go 1300-1400 on a use one. That husky would do the job. Just wish someone would come up with a chain thats stays sharpe for the day. lol

SIERRADMAX said:
How about the 395xp? I've seen a couple guys running these on an Alaskan Saw Mill. Looks like there are deals out there for this saw under $1000.

395 would be an ok mill. Wider stuff over 25inch's would really start pulling it hard. Clean air filter sharp chains aux-oiler all play a big role in milling.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle" date="1299182763 said:

Just throwing raseberrys...lol 090 would be a dream mill. Hate to go 1300-1400 on a use one. That husky would do the job. Just wish someone would come up with a chain thats stays sharpe for the day. lol

LOL oh jeez tell me about it...I know you're as careful as me when cutting/milling 'yard trees' & other stuff,worries about nails,fence wire etc.I'm way too cheap to spend $200 on a carbide chain,though the thought has crossed my mind more than once.... ;-P

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay" date="1299184883 said:

LOL oh jeez tell me about it...I know you're as careful as me when cutting/milling 'yard trees' & other stuff,worries about nails,fence wire etc.I'm way too cheap to spend $200 on a carbide chain,though the thought has crossed my mind more than once.... ;-P

:)

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RC+A3TRF&catID=73 403.65+shipping!

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle" date="1299186394 said:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RC+A3TRF&catID=73 403.65+shipping!

:lol: I'm not Donald Trump or Bill Gates,lemme tell ya! :) Damn...for that much scratch,least they could do is offer Free Shipping!!

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay" date="1299186547 said:
Thistle" date="1299186394 said:

:lol: I'm not Donald Trump or Bill Gates,lemme tell ya! :) Damn...for that much scratch,least they could do is offer Free Shipping!!

Yea you could buy a nice saw for that scratch!

385/390 = Adequate (I have a 385)
395 = Better
3120 = Best

If access isn't a problem and nothing is bigger than 2' diameter, renting someone's time with a bandmill would be a better solution. A band mill will give you less wasted kerf, less noise, faster cut, smoother cut. If its huge stuff or you can't get a band mill near the logs, a chainsaw mill is great.

KarlP said:
385/390 = Adequate (I have a 385)
395 = Better
3120 = Best

If access isn't a problem and nothing is bigger than 2' diameter, renting someone's time with a bandmill would be a better solution. A band mill will give you less wasted kerf, less noise, faster cut, smoother cut. If its huge stuff or you can't get a band mill near the logs, a chainsaw mill is great.

Advantage of the chainsaw is its not wavy on the big one's. First limb means nothing. Can go much much wider than a band-saw for a fraction of the price. Band millers also compete with local big saw mills.

Too bad I hadn't just traded my 395 that was set up for milling with an auxiliary oiler set up. The problem with the 395 is it is harder to adjust the chain with the tension screw on the front of the saw.

wendell said:
Too bad I hadn't just traded my 395 that was set up for milling with an auxiliary oiler set up. The problem with the 395 is it is harder to adjust the chain with the tension screw on the front of the saw.

Most the time thats going to ok because it will go dull first.

Status
Not open for further replies.