Which hydraulic hoses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Being new to hydraulics, I have a couple of questions regarding hoses. I assume from what I have learned about hydraulics recently that some of the hoses are not under much pressure and some are under great pressure. From the picture of my splitter can someone tell me which of the lines are under the most pressure and which are under the least? At what point do they need replaced? Is minor cracking acceptable? I also just paid $36 for a 24" 1/2" hose. I feel like I got ripped off. Did I?

Attachments

• Wheelhitch.jpg
    Wheelhitch.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 374
Good hydraulic hoses with fitted ends are expensive, but $36 is a bit much for 24" when compared to this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/hydraulic-hose-1-2-in-2-wire-24-in-l-1819240

The high pressure line runs form the pump to the cylinder. The line that returns fluid to the reservoir can be rated for much lower pressure. I often see return lines with 300psi max ratings on big box store splitters.

Any cracks should be addressed immediately. A cracked hose on a high pressure line can put you in the ER.

The large hose from the tank to the pump is suction hose. The others are pressure hoses. Minor cracking is nothing to worry about. As long as you don't see steel reinforcement. Most hoses are rated at a minimum of 2500 PSI, you would need to dead head the Cyl. to approach that pressure. The major problems appear at the fitting crimp either from bending or bad crimps.
Never go with a lower pressure rating on a hose. $36. for a hose? depends on where you had it made and manufacturer of the hose. I make some that cost a whole lot more than that per foot. 4 wire high pressure hose (10,000psi) gets expensive quick.

All the returns on my splitter from valve to filter and filter to tank are Parker Push Locs. Hose from tank to pump can be any hose compatible with hyd fluid and installed with hose clamps.

All Return/Suction lines can be low pressure rated (much cheaper) hose than the high pressure side. $36 for 24" hose with fittings ain't bad, especially if it's top quality hose and fittings. The fittings are the expensive pieces. Not uncommon for a 5-6" custom length hose to go over $100. Hoses that are pre-fabbed em-masse are cheaper and on a splitter a few inches of length either way usually won't hurt.

I have them made on a regular basis with SAE fittings &5800psi; hose. The one's I replace most often have 90deg sae compression fitting and straight 1/4" NPT on the other end 3-1/2' long, one hose runs $47.
But as we refer to it: "It's just powerplant money"

BASOD said:
I have them made on a regular basis with SAE fittings &5800psi; hose. The one's I replace most often have 90deg sae compression fitting and straight 1/4" NPT on the other end 3-1/2' long, one hose runs $47.
But as we refer to it: "It's just powerplant money"

Took a nice road-trip to 'bama once. Lot's of things down there are much more reasonably priced than here!

MasterMech said:
Took a nice road-trip to 'bama once. Lot's of things down there are much more reasonably priced than here!

ssshhh... Don't let anyone know about the cheap cost of living, nice climate, and beautiful mountains I live around. Just keep em thinking it's the armpit of the south

What is the hose from the valve to the bottom of the tank? Is it pressurized? Bypass?

gzecc said:
What is the hose from the valve to the bottom of the tank? Is it pressurized? Bypass?

That should be the the "return line," which returns fluid to the reservoir. It is pressurized, but usually well under 30 psi on a log splitter. On today's splitters you'll often see an hydraulic fluid filter on this line just before the reservoir.

I think it would do you well to go online and look at the most basic hydraulic schematic you can find. That will be a log splitter.

BASOD said:
MasterMech said:

ssshhh... Don't let anyone know about the cheap cost of living, nice climate, and beautiful mountains I live around. Just keep em thinking it's the armpit of the south

Our secret! :zip:

Google Baum Hydraulics for a place that you can get high quality hydraulic hoses made up and shipped quickly for far less than most local places will charge. They have been super helpful for me including as a source for rebuild kits for long-discontinued hydraulic valves, etc. Everyone else said "Huh?" and they set me up with some parts for pocket change prices that did the job wonderfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.