Which IR thermometer to get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutu_sue

Jan 21, 2006
Northern NJ
I'm interested in getting one of the IR non-contact thermometers to use with stove and cooking among other things. There are too many choices. What do you recommend? What brand is good? I was looking at Fluke and Raytech.

There is a wide range of temperatures - what range is good for the stove reading through glass? I would like to keep the cost around $150, if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've got the raytek autopro -25 to 1000 Deg laser aiming with a light, you cant go wrong with either this one or a fluke. I bought this one off the Mac tool truck for 219.00. The brother in-law wanted one also so I got him one and the tool guy gave it to me for 210.00, both read exactly the same.

The IR thermometers are best at readings from flat colored surfaces. I have never seen one that could give you a reading through glass. Mine works fine with stove surface and pipe surface temps but through glass or readings on stainless steel reflective surfaces don't work.

Im sure this one is considered cheap and worthless by some folks.

I love mine though, and for $40, Im not worried about it getting broken!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91778

( it is pretty accurate from what I can tell, shoot a pot of boiling water at 1200 feet above sea level and got 210 degrees)

doesnt do shiny stuff well, and doesnt shoot through the stove glass though.

red lazer dot to aim it, and press a button for backlit in the dark display, reads F or C, and uses a 9 volt battery ( for a LONG time)

ozarkjeep said:
Im sure this one is considered cheap and worthless by some folks.

I love mine though, and for $40, Im not worried about it getting broken!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91778

( it is pretty accurate from what I can tell, shoot a pot of boiling water at 1200 feet above sea level and got 210 degrees)

doesnt do shiny stuff well, and doesnt shoot through the stove glass though.

red lazer dot to aim it, and press a button for backlit in the dark display, reads F or C, and uses a 9 volt battery ( for a LONG time)

That is the one I have had for about a year and it does a great job.

You also might want to watch Sears for when they have a good sale (was 10% off yesterday). Search their site for laser thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.