Which is more polluting... A car or a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which do you think is more polluting (Co2) a car or a wood stove?

• Me after eating Martha's five beans special chili recipe!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Side Bar...

How many trees do I have to plant to offset the CO2 I emit in my lifetime? Not to mention the methane and C02 created by the deer that run through my yard?
We generally plant 100 to 250 new trees every year on our property to replace dead or dying trees. Does anyone else replant trees on their property? I hug my trees, they will eventually end up heating my house. Does anyone have any idea if this type of stewardship for Mother Nature would improve or offset the "carbon footprint" of burning wood creates? I love reading everyone's posts. Any throughts? I didn't mean to takeover this thread...

tom

TomB said:
Side Bar...

How many trees do I have to plant to offset the CO2 I emit in my lifetime? Not to mention the methane and C02 created by the deer that run through my yard?
We generally plant 100 to 250 new trees every year on our property to replace dead or dying trees. Does anyone else replant trees on their property? I hug my trees, they will eventually end up heating my house. Does anyone have any idea if this type of stewardship for Mother Nature would improve or offset the "carbon footprint" of burning wood creates? I love reading everyone's posts. Any throughts? I didn't mean to takeover this thread...

tom

That is incredible. How much acreage do you have? And do you only burn dead or dying trees?

TomB said:
Does anyone have any idea if this type of stewardship for Mother Nature would improve or offset the "carbon footprint" of burning wood creates? I love reading everyone's posts. Any thoughts? I didn't mean to takeover this thread...

tom
A lot of this is a big picture item.

Our state, for instance, has much more forest than in the past couple of hundred years! This is true of many areas because wood and charcoal are not used as much for heating, smelting and building.

Whether those trees are on my property or on the conservation land behind me makes little difference. They are all eating CO2 and pumping out O.

In a general sense, wood has no carbon footprint (or a balanced one), and given the rise in forest and other woody growth, it's probably a net gain......because so few people really burn wood.

No doubt, however, that the more open spaces and forests we leave.....and even cultivate (good forestry) adds to the positive side of the equation.

Burning wood for residential heat would not be a good thing if everyone did it......but the same goes for lots of other practices. The give and take have to be somewhat equalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.