Which is my best buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
I am still looking for a second stove to help heat my addition. its not a very big space but once i remodel and start utilizing the second floor of my main house I think my avalon will be keeping that main area toasty leaving my addition cold. This morning I found 3 used stoves on craigslist in my price range. Which is the best bang for my buck?

1. $450 New England Stove Works pellet stove, used 4 winters. Very good condition, still running and using it right now, but I am moving to a home where I cannot use it. Comes with all the stainless steel exhaust piping, which is still in immaculate condition. Glass is clean, and thare are not any scratches anywhere on the stove or glass. The hopper takes a 40lb bag, and it has an automatic push button ignition start. It is 35,000 btu's.

2. $350 for Sale Avent Pellet Stove. It heats up nicely and is great for a smaller area, this stove holds about a half bag of pellets. This price is for the stove only, no piping. Also comes with a manual printed out from the company online.

3. $400 Whitfield wood pellet stove, some pipe and wall flange included

If the Whitfield is an older model Quest or Advantage I'd go that route. Very simple stove to maintain and very quiet.

I have no experience to make comparisons BUT....I can speak for the englander and would not hesitate to get it, especially with ss piping. On Craigslist you can try to get'em down on price!

Good luck either way

Edit; I have yet to be able to put a 40# bag in my hopper, 35# is pushing it.

Werm said:
I have no experience to make comparisons BUT....I can speak for the englander and would not hesitate to get it, especially with ss piping. On Craigslist you can try to get'em down on price!......

I agree. Best bang for the buck, especially w/ the piping included, IMO.

I hear many good things about the englander and Whitefield stoves from my customers. Maybe look at who carry's parts and services the three brands in your area so you can get some local help if it is needed.

rap69ri said:
If the Whitfield is an older model Quest or Advantage I'd go that route. Very simple stove to maintain and very quiet.
Signature

Harman P61
Englander PDVC
Whitfield Quest
Harman Invincible RS Insert

Here's a fellow member that has 2 of the 3 stoves in question...he says a mouthful...

And the Whitfield comes w/ pipe and wall thimble also.

If it's a Whitfield Advantage, I would buy it, but what else would you want me to say.

I myself would not buy a Englander (sorry englander owners). You can't compare the two stoves. They both burn pellet's but that it. Now I'm talking a Advantage Stove. The Whitfield Advantage Is one of the BEST stove ever made!!! I've worked on both stove and the Whitfield is made much better...

Mr Whitfield said:
I myself would not buy a Englander (sorry englander owners). You can't compare the two stoves. They both burn pellet's but that it. Now I'm talking a Advantage Stove. The Whitfield Advantage Is one of the BEST stove ever made!!! I've worked on both stove and the Whitfield is made much better...

Are you one of those dealers that think trashing someone elses brand stove elevates your choice. Of course you could be right in some ways but your "Mr Whitfield" signature certainly implies or at least suggests a good dose of bias.
The advantage (no pun intended) of the used Englander over the "Advantage" is that you can still get free factory tech assistance , off the shelf parts are widely available , reasonably priced , and they are simple stoves to fix.
With the used Whitfield a homeowner might be more dependant on a dealer for problems, parts , and service.

Well I'm not a dealer, just a guy who works on stoves. I've worked on kinds of stoves. Who needs factory support when you have a great forum like this! The Whitfield Advantage II-T is the number one selling stove of all time, I think part for this stove will be available for years to come. Just remember it's just my opinion. I've worked on Whitfield's that are 20 years old and still run like new.

Mr Whitfield said:
Well I'm not a dealer, just a guy who works on stoves. I've worked on kinds of stoves. Who needs factory support when you have a great forum like this! The Whitfield Advantage II-T is the number one selling stove of all time, I think part for this stove will be available for years to come. Just remember it's just my opinion. I've worked on Whitfield's that are 20 years old and still run like new.

I`m not doubting you at all Mr Whitfield and you are entitled to your opinion even if it`s biased but there happens to be many other pellet stoves for which the same could be said.

no pane said:
I like Chevys.

Ford all the way! At least there all American made kinda

I like MOPARs with Whitfield engines... and Englander transmissions...

I was able to get the englander with all the piping for $300. Thanks guys

dhungy said:
I was able to get the englander with all the piping for $300. Thanks guys

Great deal!! Even if you have to replace a few parts, it will still be a good deal, especially since you got the pipe too. If you have any problems after installing and running it, a call to Mike H. (or any of the techs there) at Englander, or a PM to him on this forum should get you all the help you'll need, plus all the other knowledgeable Englander owners on the board.

BTW, I guessing from the 40lb hopper that you got a 25-PDVC. I just bought some pellets from a lady who's selling her house, and has the same stove....she said it roasted them out of the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.