Which is the best stove in the world ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
There is a stove somewhere that will do some amazing things while using firewood to make BTUs.

Why can't we just simply answer this question once and for all, it sure would save a lot of time........... ;-P

I know, ours are great, wonderful, we love them, so neat etc..........but there has to be one somewhere that will burn wood ALMOST perfectly............where is it ? :)

Robbie.

The perfect stove ,
the perfect wood ,
Wood correctly seasoned,
The right house set up,
the correct insulation,
best stove user with experience ( as Ryan mentioned )
the best chimney,
the best way to move heat,
ect ...ect...ect...

Just as there is no perfect automobile..... (but there are plently I'd like to try out down at Watkin's Glen:))

Mine.

Waterboss, how do you like you Englander 28-3500? How many square ft you heat with it and do you feel it is efficient? I am going to look at one tomorrow but the store I am going to does not have a customer with one which I can talk to. I presently heat about 2600 ft with an Englander water side with blower. It is about twenty years old and is beginning to deteriorate the metal in the side of the stove where the water jacket is.

Phil - just responded to your other post a day late, but I've been out in the big plow clearing roads for the Town - kinda droopy eyed right now, but I needed my hearth.com fix. I love that stove. The whole house stays warm. Burns all night - no problem. Lots of good coals to rekindle with. I'll post a pic of my install tomorrow so you can see a bigger shot than my avatar. I really enjoy using it and love when the heating season rolls around. I used to hate the sound of the air coming through the heat ducts when it was the natural gas furnace running, but now that the Englander is using the ducts it's music to my ears and dollars staying in my wallet. Will post more tomorrow. Feel free to ask specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Brother Bart stole my thunder. MINE

Are we talking stoves only or any wood burning device? I would say that the masonry heaters would have to be a competitor.

heydan said:
If "best" is correlated with "most expensive" then the thermal mass heaters (Russian stoves, Tulikivis, Masonry heaters) do tend to cost thousands of dollars more than reqular stoves.

Hi Dan:

You must realize up front expense for a quality item is only part of the real world total expense of owning it.

As I've mentioned before, though considered "expensive", masonry heaters excel in burning wood cleanly, safety, convenience, longevity and adding value to your home. This makes up front costs "relative".

By having one's own woodlot and not having to purchase cordwood, dramatic reduction in LPG, NG or oil forced air heating and by adding up ones non-essential expenses in other areas*, payback can be as short as about 10 years.

Also, in speaking of value, consider others opinions:

“Today, many people think nothing of spending tens of thousands of dollars for an automobile that holds its value for a very short time.  But the investment in a masonry stove/heater is truly rock solid.  As part of a home remodeling project or new home construction, masonry stoves/heaters easily pay for themselves -  in reduced heating costs, increased comfort, and added value to the home.”

http://www.fnaturalhomes.com/fountainheat.htm

"There is one other important if not vital thing to consider with all of the talk of money and payback. Anyone with a masonry heater is making a fractionally larger long-term payment, (added pro-rata principal and interest due to masonry heater), in return for receiving short-term benefits, such as decreased wood consumpton, a cleaner chimney, few needed replacement parts and a safe comfortable heat source which doesn’t need much tending so it’s a nice thing to have now. But if the world went to crap it would be great to have since you can get heat, cooking, and hot water with few moving parts. So it’s not only an investment, it’s also a hedge against risk. A payment in return for decreased risk and more certainty with regard to return on investment is called insurance And if one takes a look at it that way then these look even better as ‘investments’.

Some homeowners report that their investment in this heater has paid for itself in traditional home heating costs after only 6 heating seasons."

--Commercial Real Estate Insurance Person

Aye,
Marty

*For just 1 year, add up what you spend on non-essentials such as:

$25000. Your second or third vehicle
$3000 - ? Your boat
$15000 Swimming pool for your house
$125000 Your “hunting cabin” or second home
$1500 Tobacco $5/pk x 300/yr
$3600 Ethanol $10/day (wine, beer, booze)
$50000 - ? Your mistress
$2500 Eating at restaurants
$3500 Hunting and fishing trips
$1000 Blown pocket money, ATM w/drawls
? “Stuff” you bought but haven’t used in at least a year (It adds up)
Big Bucks A divorce or two

and the cost, ease, safety, effectiveness, eco-friendlyness and convenience of a big hot rock (aka masonry heater) in your home doesn’t seem so out of the question.

The one that gets wife approval and wife participation. At that pint no others matter

Marty, when you researched your particular stove what were the deciding factors? Proven heat output performance? Nearby craftsmen? Style? Local track record? Cost? Were there any near seconds for the masonry heater like a kacheloven?

The one that gets wife approval and wife participation. At that pint no others matter

How do you know if the stove gets wife approval? iIs when she braggs to he fellow workers she has used no oil for heat

It is the one that was free to you and loads only once a day ;)

BeGreen said:
Marty, when you researched your particular stove what were the deciding factors? Proven heat output performance? Nearby craftsmen? Style? Local track record? Cost? Were there any near seconds for the masonry heater like a kacheloven?

BG:

Before buying a masonry heater, I had the following under my belt (read had had enough of, for one reason or another):

* Two wood burning fireplace inserts
* One gas fireplace insert
* One gas basement stove
* One cast iron wood stove

Then, I was building an open floor plan 1950 SF mainfloor and loft house (w/unfinished basement) on acreage with a woodlot, so, what to do considering:

* My site was fairly remote (in the boonies)
* My driveway was too steep for service trucks (LPG) in winter
* Power outages from wind/lightning vs trees was likely
* I hated writing checks to oil/gas/electric conglomerants
* I had some starch left in me to handle a chain saw, maul and tractor; i.e., provide a wood pile from my woodlot
* I love sunrise/sunset fires with coffee/a sundowner or so and not the hassle of having to constantly feed the metal beast
* I don't like breathing "fried dust", relying on blowers to move heat, or performing surgery with cold fingers on mechanical parts that don't move anymore

Choosing the masonry heater was an easy choice. I built the house around it (it's in the middle of the house). The local dealer (1 1/2 hour away) sold TempCast (quite pricey) and Tulikivi (very pricey). I liked the customization and facade possibitities of TempCast and, after seeing each operating on the dealer's floor and some reading, made my choice. Now, I'm sold. If I ever have another house, if possible, it's masonry all the way.

Aye,
Marty
PS: I have a basement Harman TLC 2000 wood/coal stove for redundant heat (insurance, peace of mind, heat in a cold basement, yada, yada) I use occasionally.

I have you all beat!!!!!! THIS is by far the best stove in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kick back, pop a few beers, and roast some marshmellows :)

Attachments

• susquehanna.jpg
    susquehanna.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 880
Uhmmm, Hog, if that is what you use for marshmellows, I'd like to see your BBQ!

The best stove in the world is the cheapest that heats your house safely with the highest SO approval.

Personally, I think the 2 englanders at Home Depot in Poughkeepsie for 325.00 each is hard to beat!!

Get em while they last.

Warren said:
The best stove in the world is the cheapest that heats your house safely with the highest SO approval.

Personally, I think the 2 englanders at Home Depot in Poughkeepsie for 325.00 each is hard to beat!!

Get em while they last.

This whole HD clearance thing is fascinating me. In November when I was trying to buy an Englander NC-30 I couldn't get anybody off of their butt at HD to order one and there were not any stoves but Centurys in the stores. Now everywhere but here they are dumping ESW stoves for pocket change.

Sigh...

Another nice thing about the thermal mass heaters or tulikivis is they can burn lower quality wood such as pine.

But I imagine a thermal mass heater would not be good in spring and fall when you want a little heat fast. They take longer to heat up and keep putting out heat for a long time.

heydan said:
Another nice thing about the thermal mass heaters or tulikivis is they can burn lower quality wood such as pine.

But I imagine a thermal mass heater would not be good in spring and fall when you want a little heat fast. They take longer to heat up and keep putting out heat for a long time.

Yes HD, masonry heaters can burn any seasoned soft or hardwood without regard with no fear of creosote since its firebox gets so hot.

In Spring and Fall, to adjust for warmer weather, we simply burn a smaller full fuel load than in colder weather. It's that simple. The lag you refer to only happens 1 day a year: the first of the heating season.

Aye,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.