Which is the better PE deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet Paws

May 24, 2008
Ontario
I am as green as the wood gets when the sap is still running so I am hoping for and will certainly appreciate any guidance. In my hunting and fishing camp in Ontario I am looking to replace the wood stove which is so old and dangerous that I do not need to waste anyone's time by describing it. I want the black pedestal Super 27 with the ash drawer but I have been offered a 2 year old used display model Stainless Steel Fusion with an ash drawer for basically the same price. Is there any information you require to decide which stove is a better deal for my application? Unless I am wrong the fire boxes are the same so they should perform equally, right? wrong? What makes these stoves different?

I would get the Spectrum just for the fact that, to me, the Fusion looks like it should have a remote control and 180 channels.

Showed it to my wife (the Fusion)...she said it looks like a microwave oven. I agree with both her & BB. All the fish and game around your camp will be smirking at you if you put that Fusion in there. Rick

Sorry, Wet Paws, I guess we're not really answering your question, beyond sharing our personal taste preferences in the outward appearance of a woodstove. Both the stoves you mentioned are classified by PE as "medium", and both are advertised to heat up to 2000 square feet (more is better...if the space you're heating really is 2000 square feet, I'd think about a bigger stove). I didn't look beyond that, at firebox sizes, & such, but you can access all the information about them, including the owner's manuals at the PE website:

http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_line.php

Have fun, and welcome! Rick

BrotherBart said:
I would get the Spectrum just for the fact that, to me, the Fusion looks like it should have a remote control and 180 channels.

Hey Bart: are you the same guy that told me not to buy a new epa certified insert cause it might burn my house down? And how do you know that the Fushion doesn`t have the remote? ;-P

I really like the looks of the fusion, but if it doesn't go with the decor of the fishing camp, you may regret having to stare at something that looks out of place.

Thanks all for the replies. That is my hang up too on the Fusion. I don't like the looks either and I would probably lose the remote if there was one. ;-) I am just asking as the better half 'liked' the look. I on the other hand don't but was willing to 'warm' up to it if it was indeed a better stove in some way. Judging by the reactions so far there is nothing that makes this a better stove. The Super 27 with ash drawer is being offered for 1588 plus taxes (then minus 5%) and the used Fusion is 1520 plus tax. A new Fusion is quoted as 2324 plus tax. I am guessing everyone would have baulked at the Fusion @ the new price. Thanks for the replys!!

Sorry forgot to mention that my camp is only 24 x 24 and the upstairs open sleeping area is approx 16 x 24 due to the roof slope.

Well, to the "better" engineering/materials wize, I'd say the stainless steel is better..will last forever. Can't speak for the looks without seieing one, but can say when we buy for the house, my wife is the boss... maybe for more that what we buy for the hours. We're installing a new insert ourselves, the one my wife likes (looks) not the one I like: more efficient and cleaner, and less $$.

Jerry_NJ said:
Well, to the "better" engineering/materials wize, I'd say the stainless steel is better..will last forever. Can't speak for the looks without seieing one, but can say when we buy for the house, my wife is the boss... maybe for more that what we buy for the hours. We're installing a new insert ourselves, the one my wife likes (looks) not the one I like: more efficient and cleaner, and less $$.

Yep. You can be right . . . or you can be happy.

Rick,

Thanks, enough "said" or seen.

Yes, be happy is the goal.... sorry for the typos, reading my quote I see some errors: should say: "....maybe for more than what we buy for the house" maybe you figured out what I meant anyway.

Jerry

They're basically identical stoves built around the same firebox but with different outer skins so it really comes down to looks and WAF/WDF not performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.