1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Which millivolt thermostat for breckwell P23I?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by timalabim, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timalabim

timalabim Member

Loc:
    eastern ma
    Hi all,

The Breckwell web site states "any 250 or 500 millivolt thermostat can be used". Honeywell "standard" millivolt thermostat specs 750 millivolts. The Breckwell P23I manual only states that a "millivolt thermostat" is required but does not specifiy the millivolts. Anyone have experience with a 750 millivolt thermostat with this model stove? The Breckwell remote kit seems a bit pricey.

Thanks in advance.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    The Honeywell can handle up to 750 mV but will work with much less. I think 750 mV is the industry standard for gas valves.

Chris
  3. gw2kpro

gw2kpro New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I put a Honeywell 5 day programmable on my Breckwell P2700 last year. It works great.
  4. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    This is kind of strange. Breckwell's web site says in large type that it takes a millivolt stat, but I can't figure out why. Millivolt is usually used on self generating pilots on gas appliances and not anything that would plug in to an outlet. Most low voltage thermostats are 24VAC and have a little resistance (anticipator) that may interfere with the stove's control board. If this is the reason, then setting the anticipator toward "longer" or a higher number would take the anticipator out of play. I don't know anyone who makes a programmable millivolt stat, but if a normal 24v stat doesn't work, you could use an isolating relay and a separate 24v source.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.