Which model Buck Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvns1

Oct 5, 2009
southern wv
I have decided to purchase a Buck Stove insert based on recommendations from friends and the reputation of the company and am not sure which would best suit my needs. I have a 2 story house (about 2100 sq.ft) with the fireplace in the basement (around 1000 sq. ft) which serves as the tv/play room. I intend to use the stove to heat the basement and to assist with heating the upstairs by heat rising through the floor and stairwell. I am looking at the model 74 and the smaller model 21. There is roughly a $300-$400 dollar difference in cost of the inserts. I am concerned that the smaller model will not be sufficient to assist with heating the upsatirs, but I like the smaller dimensions of this model as the depth of our existing fireplace is not that deep.

Generally folks are happier with the larger stove. It will hold more fuel which will equate to longer burns between refilling. If there is a good way for heat to head upstairs, the larger stove will probably work out better. However, if the heat is going to stay trapped mostly in the basement, then the 21 may be a better plan. Post a sketch of the floorplan if you can. That always helps. We need to see what you are seeing.

I would recommend the Model 74 since it has a 2.6 cu ft firebox. I think you'll find the 1.6 firebox of the model 21 too small for your size house. Regardless of your decision, you'll need the optional fan for the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.