which moisture meter should I keep ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
Due to wish-list confusion, I got two moisture meters for Christmas. I solicit opinions about which one I should keep. One is a Sonin Model 50211; there is a cord between the meter itself (black with an analog needle display) and the probes. The other is a JT-2G; there does not seem to be an actual brand-name (which seems odd) and the thing is grey plastic with a digital readout and yellow buttons and a yellow cover on the probes. Thanks !

Joe in MI said:
One for home and one for the truck?
Nah, considering I've done fine for 35 years of wood-burning without one at all, but you guys made me feel guilty for not having one.

If it were me I would google search for reviews on them.
Whichever one has the least complaints about it, is the keeper, and return the other.
If both have only good reviews, flip a coin.

Really its just a meter, I would think all have some margin of error, but are close enough.

Ask yourself this. your not building fine furniture with the wood, just burning it.
So does it really matter if the meter is off say 10%.
So instead of 16% moisture, it really has 14.4% or 17.6% it will all burn good regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.