Which moisture meter to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it would do the trick. Depending on the current condition of your wood the most important thing you need to do is get it split ( if not already) stacked and you might consider covering just the top during wet weather. Also you might consider resplitting any large splits you have as they will dry faster. I've found that if you open up a split and hold it to your cheek if it feels moist your still to wet.

That's the one I have, works fine. Be careful when you stick the pins in the wood, they only have to go in 3mm, not all the way in or you may break them.

`I have the 4 pring version of the same model. You're smart to get the 2 prong. I have a bit of difficulty getting a reading with all 4 prongs but overall it's fine.

leftyscott said:
`I have the 4 pring version of the same model. You're smart to get the 2 prong. I have a bit of difficulty getting a reading with all 4 prongs but overall it's fine.

I also have the 4 pin version, it seems to work just fine.

I picked up this one and got it in the mail yesterday...thanks for the link.
Basically, I am not sure how accurate it is, but I am going to write some readings in marker on some splits, and then check them in a month or so to see if there has been any difference.
Seems like most of my stuff is 18-20 in the middle, so I hope I will be good to go for the burning season.

I received it yesterday. Took some readings; I've got about a cord of hardwood that I split in April that reads about 20%. Pretty good, I guess. The uncut logs I have all read 39-40% (40 is the max). As soon as I kick this weird flu I got on Friday, I'll be back out there blocking up my new load of wood.

Did you re-split the wood before you checked it? Measuring the exposed surface has no bearing on reality.

wendell said:
Did you re-split the wood before you checked it? Measuring the exposed surface has no bearing on reality.
Well, I checked by putting the meter in the ends; are you suggesting, split and then put the meter into the side of the wood? I bet you are and I think that'll result in wetter would. As I said, I WAS surprised that it seemed so dry already. Thanks for that heads up. I'll let you know what I find.

Yes, the ends dry REALLY quickly so the reading there means nothing. Split a piece and take the measurement off of the freshly exposed surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.