Which new bar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Stihl 260 pro with an 18" bar. The bar is toast.

What are the best options? Should I go directly to the Stihl dealer? I like Stihl chains, but I don't know if Oregon bars are comparable quality- then there's a bunch of different Oregon bars, and... blah blah blah

I don't mind spending a little extra. help

Bring the bar in and see if it can be re-ground and re-tipped. I've been using an Oregon bar on my husky 272xp (20in) for about 8 years and I've no complaints. Stihl, Husky Oregon bars ...pretty much all the same if you're a homeowner cutting 20 cords a year imo...

...just say'en I always grease the tips if I have a bar with the fitting.

Adios Pantalones said:

What are the best options? Should I go directly to the Stihl dealer? I like Stihl chains, but I don't know if Oregon bars are comparable quality- then there's a bunch of different Oregon bars, and... blah blah blah

Were it me i'd get another Stihl bar...you don't have to worry about compatiblilty and it's not like you have to buy em' that often.
You say your bar is toast..splain?

I personally like sticking with the Stihl bar and chains. I also believe if you only have one saw it's definately a good idea to have a spare bar for the those DOH! :shut: moments when you are thinking about something else and you do something stupid.

woodconvert said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Were it me i'd get another Stihl bar...you don't have to worry about compatiblilty and it's not like you have to buy em' that often.
dito

woodconvert said:

I filed this bar flat before. The wear is pretty serious- the groove is splayed and the wear forms another groove of sorts with some unevenness. I believe that if trued again there's not enough depth in a couple of spots (notably getting near the tip). This was the first bar on a saw that I personally owned- so it was abused with bad sharpening habits etc. Nicely 'blued' on the edges from friction, probably contributing to its demise- though I've had it for maybe 6 years. That's a good long life, IMO, but I cut a lot more now than I ever did- an extra 6-10 cord a year for the kiln.

Adios Pantalones said:
woodconvert said:

though I've had it for maybe 6 years. That's a good long life, IMO, but I cut a lot more now than I ever did- an extra 6-10 cord a year for the kiln.

Well, it doesn't owe you a dime. Go get another Stihl bar n' chain, hang on to the old bar and matching chain for those fugly cuts that come up from time to time and you'll be set for a few more years. It's a cheap investment.

I'm a bit leary of any of those $16 bar/chain combos. We have one at work someone dropped off for us hoping we would sell them. They just look and feel cheaply built. Not a fan, but that's just my opinion.

cmonSTART said:
I'm a bit leary of any of those $16 bar/chain combos. We have one at work someone dropped off for us hoping we would sell them. They just look and feel cheaply built. Not a fan, but that's just my opinion.

I also agree with the "You Get What You Pay For" Motto!

Adios:

We have changed our bars to Oregon bars on our saws without an issue. Carlton are also good bars. Look at baileysonline.com for good prices.

Your bar being worn down? If you have a Sthil, you may be well advised to crank your oiler up full tilt and each time you put on a new or sharpened chain, flip the bar to help you have even wear. If sawing in the bitter cold like 20 degrees or less, use the sthil winter oil or sae 30 hd motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.