Which Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
I got a real nice grab tonight. It was mostly oak with a few limbs of red elm mixed in. However, he told me it was Pin Oak, but from what I can see it appears not to be. Plus I always thought Pin Oaks grew pretty straight up and down. But his was a massive oak at the base (three maybe 3 1/2 humans arm spans around. It was very wide at the top too. Here are the pics.

Here are the Leaves..
4eb29b67.jpg

Here is my first of two loads in my Ranger, talk about squatting.
5f91fda8.jpg

Here is both loads.
d85f5104.jpg

Red Oak. Great stuff, 2 years to dry out after splitting.

could be black oak...but it doesn't matter since it's definitely in the red oak family. So just call it red oak to keep it simple.

Agreed, appears to be Red, especially the bark. Leaves are varied, look kinda like Red, Black and Pin. :lol:
Like chinkapin said, doesn't really matter as far as drying goes, since all three are in the Red family. Looong time to dry that fresh-cut stuff. Don't put your moisture meter on it, could break it. :lol:

Somebody alert smokinjay....HUGE sapwood. :lol:

Nice score! Is that all of it or are you getting the entire tree? In the pic, looks like maybe half a cord?

Red oak.

Here is a pin oak we cut a few months ago. Notice the bark for comparison. Also notice all the trimming that has to be done. I have never seen or cut a pin oak that did not have a huge mess of limbs to contend with.

Pinoakdown-1.jpg

Pinoakdown-2.jpg

Pinoak4-12-11a.jpg

Pin Oak also has really pointy leaves doesn't it?

fv

Red, Deep bark!

Attachments

• 10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 240
Red. Cut a load of the same stuff this AM myself. 12 loads of red/black oak in 2 weeks. My back hurts.

fireview2788 said:
Pin Oak also has really pointy leaves doesn't it?
Pin I've seen looks pretty close to some of those Red leaves. On Pin, the sinuses may be deeper and come closer to the center vein. I don't think Pin leaves are quite as dark a green as Red Oak leaves...

Woody Stover said:
Agreed, appears to be Red, especially the bark. Leaves are varied, look kinda like Red, Black and Pin. :lol:
Like chinkapin said, doesn't really matter as far as drying goes, since all three are in the Red family. Looong time to dry that fresh-cut stuff. Don't put your moisture meter on it, could break it. :lol:

Somebody alert smokinjay....HUGE sapwood. :lol:

Nice score! Is that all of it or are you getting the entire tree? In the pic, looks like maybe half a cord?

Yes, that was the entire score. He just trimmed the bottom set of limbs. But it was all setting at the curb waiting for me to get there. Since I got all my wood set up for at least this year and possiblably next year. This Oak will be ready then for the third year. This will be my first time I'll get to use Oak, so hopefully I'll get a few more scrounges with some oak to get a full cord by that fall.

chvymn99 said:
This will be my first time I'll get to use Oak, so hopefully I'll get a few more scrounges with some oak to get a full cord by that fall.
If this will be the highest BTU wood you've ever burned, you're in for a treat! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.