Which of the 4 sounds best?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAPROUD

Feb 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Narrowed my OWB down to four manufactuers. Which sounds best to you experts?

1. Shaver
2. Central Boiler
3. Taylor
4. Freedom outdoor furnace

I would go with Central simply because they stand the best chance of surviving all the OWB regulation that's being implemented across the country. Any OWB mfg. who can't make a boiler that complies with EPA emissions standards in the years to come probably isn't going to survive. From what I've heard, CB already has. So parts and service should always be available, if that's important to you. OTOH, there ain't much to an OWB that can't be cobbled up from generic parts or welded locally, so that may not be an issue.

I pass both a Taylor and a Central on my way to work, and I'd have to say that the Central seems to be a cleaner-burning boiler, especially since he's burning green wood and the guy with the Taylor has a mountain of dry firewood.

I'm not sure but I think the only CB that will pass is the new model they have coming out. Most of the major companies I think will have models that will pass very soon BUT they don't have a very long track record. I don't think ANY of the old style will pass. I understand the charm of the OWB but I really think you should consider one of the gasifiers. The cost really isn't much difference.
leaddog

I like the looks of the taylor stoves. The newer ones are stainless steel and they that a multiple smoke pass kinda like a garn.

The local CB dealer doesn't recommend stainless. I purchased my junk stainless Global Hydronics OWB in 2005, it was mfg. 2001 and might have been out of service a year or two already. My welder probably patched abt. 75 holes in the firebox. The experts here really dislike OWB's and they have lots of valid points. Compared to what some here have spent I consider my system to almost be a freebie. I expect may years of trouble free heating to come. My firebox is surrounded by K-copper and silver brazed joints plus a ton or two of pea gravel.

leaddog said:
I'm not sure but I think the only CB that will pass is the new model they have coming out. Most of the major companies I think will have models that will pass very soon BUT they don't have a very long track record. I don't think ANY of the old style will pass. I understand the charm of the OWB but I really think you should consider one of the gasifiers. The cost really isn't much difference.
leaddog

I wasn't clear on that and it sounds like I said that all CBs pass the EPA requirements. You're right--it's just one model, and I'm not even sure that it's available yet. My original point about going with CB is that if you're going to get a conventional OWB, that would be my choice.

Have you looked at a Natures Comfort? All around better quality. Stay away from shaver, LOW quality, weld leak, doors leak, fittings leak. The ash door is a mess. NEVER AGAIN..
I have one I will give away for a song. I bought Natures Comfort, 300% better all around

I wish someone would make an Outdoor Wood GASIFIER!! :) That's what I'm building... Heck, if it works well this winter, I might start taking orders in the spring! :)

An outdoor EKO! :D

I thought greenwood was an indoor only unit?

Sequoya (spelled wrong I think) also makes an outdoor unit... It's the only one I've seen so far that is really a gasifier and not a conventional OWB lined with firebrick to help efficiency.....

I don't know anything about CB's new "hi-efficiency" unit so I can't say anything about it......

CB's is an much a gasifier as any other. Some say that is the wrong word anyway - how about "downdraft, high efficiency"?

Given the EPA regs and the legal troubles, I have a hard time suggesting the "old" OWBs for most people. Low efficiency, history of leaks (see above for just two examples), high smoke output, etc. just makes them wrong for most applications. I guess if one has a couple hundred acres and burns the thing correctly, it might not be as bad. But I have seen smoke laying over entire valleys in VT - so in some areas even a large lot does not keep your neighbors from inhaling your smoke.

Proper sizing is important too. The oversized firebox causes too much smoke, premature corrosion and also low efficiency (MPG).

Status
Not open for further replies.