which of these 2 stoves is the better of the two ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinktwicez71

Nov 22, 2011
Ogdensburg , NY
which stove do you think is a better stove , built to last longer , and has a better company standing behind it.

Pacific energy Vista

or

Lopi Answer

Toss up, flip a coin. I think I like the PE baffle better than the Lopi.

what about the ash dump on the vista ? any problems there ?

which warranty is better ?

Are you looking at the insert or free standing stove?
Only major difference I saw on the inserts was on the blower...the Lopi uses 2 fan wheels, and the PE looks to only use one.
Looks like a coin toss on the insert, but maybe give the edge to the lopi on the blower.

so i would have to give lopi the advantage in warranty after reading those ?

and what about build quality and design ? is the answer a better design than the vista ?

Hopefully the warrantee never becomes an issue.

Is the PE model you chose the tiny one? The next step up is the spectrum which is the next step below the summit right? Get the spectrum, it is a superior firebox with primary and secondary air control. PE is a canadian company and Lopi is american but I still lean to the PE spectrum box for the reportedly extraordinary burn times. Best in class.

Don't go too small.

Don't know about the Lopi, but PE uses IFB, don't they? I think I'd prefer hard firebrick for better heat storage. Aside from that, I have no idea.

Highbeam said:
Is the PE model you chose the tiny one? The next step up is the spectrum which is the next step below the summit right? Get the spectrum, it is a superior firebox with primary and secondary air control. PE is a canadian company and Lopi is american but I still lean to the PE spectrum box for the reportedly extraordinary burn times. Best in class.

Don't go too small.

That is the smaller PE but I don't know what the firebox capacity is. THat's also the smallest LOpi and has a 1.6 firebox. Likewise I would probably size up to the Endeavor or the Lopi Republic 1750 unless you are talking about a pretty small space you are trying to heat. I think both the Answer and the PE equivalent claim to go "up to" about 1400 sq feet but I would size up a bit if you are anywhere near that footage.

Battenkiller said:
Don't know about the Lopi, but PE uses IFB, don't they? I think I'd prefer hard firebrick for better heat storage. Aside from that, I have no idea.

What's IFB? The lopi uses hard firebrick.

It took a threat of court action from me before I could get the dealer to even come look at my "problem frought" PE Spectrum. They finally "fixed" the stove and I quickly sold it. Good riddance!!
Now I'm reading posts on this forum about cracks in the PE Summit fireboxes.
There's lots of great stoves out there - I'd keep looking!!

FWIW: We had an Answer our previous house, an 880 square foot ranch. We used it as primary heat. (Yes, the bedrooms got chilly overnight on very cold nights.) It was a great stove. About our third year of burning it, a spot weld broke on the side outer-box shield (which is designed to promote convection by drawing air along the outside of the firebox, AND to keep clearances reduced). We called the dealer, who called Travis/Lopi, who contracted a guy to come into our house and weld it on the spot -- as it were. 'Great after-sale customer-service. This would have been about 13, maybe 15 years back. We left the stove when we moved 12 years ago; I can't speak for their customer care more recently.

But, under similar heating needs, I would buy another Lopi in a heartbeat.

Regards,

I've got a PE Vista insert and have had no problems with it. It's very well built and heats well for its size. It has a 1.5 cubic foot firebox. I haven't heard of any issues with the Vista on here, just the Pacific/Spectrum and the Summit (weld crack issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.