Which one to buy.....or should I even buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
At present we have a 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450.

Here is a problem most people might find very interesting. My wife wants me to buy a new atv and sell the old one. Not only that, but she is pressuring me to buy the 700, which is the largest one they make.

Background and her reasoning: I am partially handicapped but most times I can still do whatever I want; just in small doses. There are times when walking is totally out of the question and she even gets up early mornings with me to first fix my breakfast, then she also gets on the atv and takes me to where I plan on hunting that day. When done hunting, I simply call her on the 2-way radio and she comes to pick me up. (I can hear the gasps already! lol)

So we have the atv for times like that plus, as most know, I haul a bit of wood with the thing. I also plow snow from a few driveways every winter. I also have a few food plots for deer along with 2 vegetable gardens. Needless to say, the atv comes in handy. I made the mistake of riding my neighbor's atv, which has independent suspension. Wow! It is like riding in a Cadillac vs. an old Ford pickup. For sure, that would be easier on my body. At present the painful areas are my back and neck with the neck being the worst at present. Easier riding would help a lot.

She also knows I'd like to do more with food plots so the more powerful motor would certainly be handy. And then there is the electronic steering. I did not think at first it would be worth much but after trying it, well, it might be but is a bit expensive at $600. Then comes the finish. She wants camo; extra cost, but the finish on these are not that great and camo would be better.

I was thinking the 550 model but she wants the 700. We tried both a few days ago and then today went to pick up ours, which was in the shop getting fixed (a nightmare story in itself). So, I mounted ours and drove it right up next to the new models. I then rode the 550 and the 700 and then back to ours. That was a mistake! lol

So then I did the very same thing with her. I had her ride ours to the new ones and then ride the new models. Now she is sold even more on the big devil.

Does anyone have any thoughts here that I might be missing? btw, I very well might have a buyer for our old model.

Okay. she just read the post. This morning when she rode the new models, she rode the big one first. I also purposely told her to drive over some curbs. She did. However, when she rode the 550 (also independent suspension), she suddenly began hurting (her back). She is then imagining me running over humps and hollows and even some logs in the woods.

Another point she is making is that I work the gardens with the rotor tiller. I could get a disk for the atv to work the gardens along with the food plots. So these are her thoughts.

Maybe I could also pick up a few more neighbor ladies with a new one....... Wife quote: "It sure as Hell would not be the first one I picked up on an atv." :lol:

So the problem is your wife wants you to get a new ATV? But not only that but the biggest one? PM me and I will give you my address so you can send her over to my house! :cheese:

Gary

Beware you might get my wife (the Dragon Lady) in return!

Dennis, Just curious if you looked at the UTVs (Rhinos and the like)? That is what is on my wish list. You can both ride comfortably side by side and have a dump bed in the back. I know the ATVs/UTVs can get expensive, I bought a used pickup truck for less than I could buy a UTV.

Backwoods , sounds like your decision has made for you. Thats how I ended up with that 22 ton splitter :cheese:
Enjoy it you will thank her many times over.

We have not seriously looked at the UTV's. Not sure it would work the best for our situation; besides, the wife doesn't like them! You are correct in that they are certainly expensive.

Hoosierhick, we are still discussing this one.... As for the splitter; excellent decision there!

In your sig you state ornery wife. Might as well get her what she wants... She's gonna get it anyway, might as well join in the fun and enjoy it. :lol:

Matt

Dennis, pretty tough problem to have!
If it won't hurt financially, just do it and be happy.
My brother bought a new one a couple years ago, we rode it, and my wife told me she wants one, but thinks it should be the "2 up" model. Oh, and bigger. She didn't think the 400 was powerful enough. I HAD to agree. :coolsmile:
The newer ones have efi, better suspension, etc, etc,.......but you already know that.
Go big.

550, ya have to let them have their way at times Dennis ;-)

There is Matt and it won't cost her a dime.

Dennis, your land is mostly flat and you have nice trails so a big one should work fine, also for pulling a trailer. The only problem I have heard is that they are more difficult to maneuver when making tight turns. Did you experience that in your test drives? If you could swing it I would say to keep both ATVs then you could each drive one. It really isn't even safe or recommended that you drive 2 on a quad, especially the 400/450. I have one, and like it, and do occassionally take my wife with me, she is tiny. However I know my son-in-law and his friend where in the mountains of West Virginia and had the same ATV flip over and got a little banged up. It is amazing how easily you can tip one. It only happened to me once, I backed up over a small stump(only about a 4 inch diameter stump) and the thing slowly tipped over. If a large one fell on top of you I do not think you could ever get it off of you.

Yes, our land is mostly flat. And yes, we do ride double and the wife rarely rides one alone. Usually if she gets on one it is to come get me or bring something (maybe a tool or such). But to just ride one, she really does not care for it. So the machine is basically for me.

btw, when we ride double (either the wife or anyone else) we sit a bit differently. The seat is actually not used. I sit on the right rear fender and she sits on the left rear fender. I can reach the throttle and brake with no problem and can even grasp both handlebars if necessary. We do ride slow when 2 up. Actually, most of the riding I do is slow too. I'm not too much into the speed thing but occasionally might do it on the way to a neighbor's place. Our present atv goes 50 mph but not sure on the new ones. 50 is plenty fast though.

The turning radius is a bit more on the new models but not bad. They actually turn better than the Polaris I borrowed from a neighbor. I also drove his Bombardier and that thing needs about 40 acres to turn in. With the turning, I was not sold on the electric steering thing but when thinking about it and trying backing up (imagining a trailer on behind) I can see some big benefits. The same when the snow plow is mounted. It's about $600 for that but we just might spring for it.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

btw, I one time saw some type of a scoop that mounted on the front of an atv that could be used for moving small amounts of dirt, manure or whatever. Has anyone seen something like that? Can you direct me to a website?

Yes, that is the one. Thanks hoosierhick.

Dennis,
Sounds like your wife has made up her mind! I'm not sure I would argue with her. My family has always had Hondas and we haven't warn one out yet. My son and I both have Honda FourTrax 420 Ranchers with electric shift and fuel injection. The power steering and the automatic transmissions are really nice and the bigger machine might suit you better, but I haven't had a need for more than what I have yet. As you have already found out, you will love the suspension on the new ones. The Rancher has all of those options if you want them.
Steve

Go BIG or go home!
I don't go outta my way to flip one over and eye bet U dohnt either!
100 less pounds aint gonna keep u from mashin' yur sack IF it does flip anyway. Yur gonna B mushed up! 400 or 700 ccs.

Backwoods Savage said:
At present we have a 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450.

Here is a problem most people might find very interesting. My wife wants me to buy a new atv and sell the old one. Not only that, but she is pressuring me to buy the 700, which is the largest one they make. Never met your wife . . . but I like her thinking . . . although to tell the truth I believe most folks only really need 450-500 cc engines in their ATV . . . unless they really are hauling a lot of heavy stuff or need the speed. My 450 cc Honda Foreman is fine for most things -- the only time I have wished it had a bigger engine was while riding in the County and wanting to go a bit faster on the rail trails.

Background and her reasoning: I am partially handicapped but most times I can still do whatever I want; just in small doses. There are times when walking is totally out of the question and she even gets up early mornings with me to first fix my breakfast, then she also gets on the atv and takes me to where I plan on hunting that day. When done hunting, I simply call her on the 2-way radio and she comes to pick me up. (I can hear the gasps already! lol)

So we have the atv for times like that plus, as most know, I haul a bit of wood with the thing. I also plow snow from a few driveways every winter. I also have a few food plots for deer along with 2 vegetable gardens. Needless to say, the atv comes in handy. I made the mistake of riding my neighbor's atv, which has independent suspension. Yeah, independent suspension is very, very nice. My next ATV may well have that feature, although I am a bit partial to the solid axle for a working machine. Wow! It is like riding in a Cadillac vs. an old Ford pickup. For sure, that would be easier on my body. At present the painful areas are my back and neck with the neck being the worst at present. Easier riding would help a lot. I know a lot of folks who have back/neck issues and the IRS is perhaps the single most important feature to have in an ATV with those health issues.

She also knows I'd like to do more with food plots so the more powerful motor would certainly be handy. And then there is the electronic steering. I did not think at first it would be worth much but after trying it, well, it might be but is a bit expensive at $600. My own feeling is that the power steering isn't something that is completely necessary . . . but it does make steering easier at low speeds and if it makes steering easier for you . . . or for her then it might be a good option. Then comes the finish. She wants camo; extra cost, but the finish on these are not that great and camo would be better. I'm not a hunter, so I never particularly cared for a camo paint job . . . but that to me is a personal preference.

I was thinking the 550 model but she wants the 700. We tried both a few days ago and then today went to pick up ours, which was in the shop getting fixed (a nightmare story in itself). So, I mounted ours and drove it right up next to the new models. I then rode the 550 and the 700 and then back to ours. That was a mistake! lol Again, I think most folks truly do not need to have the biggest and baddest ATV . . . but my own view is also that it's only money . . . as long as you have enough money for your present needs and plans for the future . . . feel free to spend a bit extra if it is something you and your wife want.

So then I did the very same thing with her. I had her ride ours to the new ones and then ride the new models. Now she is sold even more on the big devil.

Does anyone have any thoughts here that I might be missing? btw, I very well might have a buyer for our old model.

Okay. she just read the post. This morning when she rode the new models, she rode the big one first. I also purposely told her to drive over some curbs. She did. However, when she rode the 550 (also independent suspension), she suddenly began hurting (her back). She is then imagining me running over humps and hollows and even some logs in the woods. I'm a little confused as to why one model would be a rougher ride than another if they both have IRS . . .

Another point she is making is that I work the gardens with the rotor tiller. I could get a disk for the atv to work the gardens along with the food plots. So these are her thoughts. I still would maintain that a 550 cc machine should have no problems with a disk harrow if it has a good granny gear.

Maybe I could also pick up a few more neighbor ladies with a new one....... Wife quote: "It sure as Hell would not be the first one I picked up on an atv." :lol:

Random thoughts . . .

Like another member I wondered if you guys wouldn't like a side-by-side UTV . . . there are many makes and models out there . . . some look like overgrown golf carts, some look like ATVs on steroids and some look like mini dune buggies.

Also, a two-up ATV might be worth considering if you guys always ride together -- these are ATVs made and designed for two riders -- I believe both Polaris and Can Am make two up models.

Ride comfort . . . I love my Hondas . . . but honestly the Polaris and Yamahas are truly reknown for their plush ride.

Scoop . . . my own feeling is that a plow is fine . . . you don't have a lot of weight on the front and you're just pushing stuff . . . but when you add a scoop to try to make an ATV into a tractor I think the end result would be a lot of weight on the front . . . with a very small bucket.

tfdchief said:
Dennis,
Sounds like your wife has made up her mind! I'm not sure I would argue with her. My family has always had Hondas and we haven't warn one out yet. My son and I both have Honda FourTrax 420 Ranchers with electric shift and fuel injection. The power steering and the automatic transmissions are really nice and the bigger machine might suit you better, but I haven't had a need for more than what I have yet. As you have already found out, you will love the suspension on the new ones. The Rancher has all of those options if you want them.
Steve

Steve, we have intended to look at the Hondas. Unfortunately, at present they have only one Honda in stock. Hopefully that will change so we can at least compare. Our present Kodiak 450 is the second atv we've had and both have been Yamaha. Our first one is still going strong as we sold it to a relative. I think that was purchased in 1992. We bought the Kodiak in 2004.

I think I will like the power steering but dearly wish I could get a shifter rather than the automatic.

Thanks for the tip.

Jake, the UTV for sure is out as is the 2-up. We are not trail riders at all. In fact I do not think we've ever rode on a trail with our atvs. The wife usually does not ride but does only at times to give me a ride or perhaps fetch some tools, etc. The machine is basically mine.

I too thought the 550 would be enough machine but, although I don't understand it, the bigger one does seem to give a better ride. I think their spec sheet is wrong as there is a difference, or at least there is on the two we tried.

As for the speed, that is a non-issue. Power is the deciding factor.

Maybe Lee is right; go big or go home. Something like, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

After considering it further, I think if we do buy, it will be the big one. The power would be nice for working up fields. It will probably even be better for plowing snow as there have been a few times with our present machine I wished it had more power. Also in the woods. I could drag a bigger log and if I ever get around to making that dray, it will be super nice.

My former employer, who had to have the biggest and best of EVERYTHING, bought a Kubota side by side. First thing he did was order a track kit for it. Tracks at all four corners. The ride is awesome and it goes anywhere it will fit. Hydraulic dump is sweet. Not to mention the heater.
Can't wait till he goes bankrupt and has an auction.
I shouldn't say that, he was really good to me. He just made a lot of stooooooooooooooopid decisions and spent a lot of money when he should have been tightening his belt. Been good, though. I've got the best job I've ever had, and he's still keeping his head out of the water. And I've got a lot of free time to cut wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, the UTV for sure is out as is the 2-up. We are not trail riders at all. In fact I do not think we've ever rode on a trail with our atvs. The wife usually does not ride but does only at times to give me a ride or perhaps fetch some tools, etc. The machine is basically mine.

I too thought the 550 would be enough machine but, although I don't understand it, the bigger one does seem to give a better ride. I think their spec sheet is wrong as there is a difference, or at least there is on the two we tried.

Maybe Lee is right; go big or go home. Something like, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

After considering it further, I think if we do buy, it will be the big one. The power would be nice for working up fields. It will probably even be better for plowing snow as there have been a few times with our present machine I wished it had more power. Also in the woods. I could drag a bigger log and if I ever get around to making that dray, it will be super nice.

Yur gonna luf the auto!
Eye wuz alwaze a gear man until eye bought an 03 GRIZ.
Eye'll never go bak 2 shiftin'!!!

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, the UTV for sure is out as is the 2-up. We are not trail riders at all. In fact I do not think we've ever rode on a trail with our atvs. The wife usually does not ride but does only at times to give me a ride or perhaps fetch some tools, etc. The machine is basically mine. Ah, sounds like a single rider ATV would work for you then.

I too thought the 550 would be enough machine but, although I don't understand it, the bigger one does seem to give a better ride. I think their spec sheet is wrong as there is a difference, or at least there is on the two we tried. Actually, in thinking about it . . . could it be that the bigger ATV has a wider or longer wheelbase perhaps . . . or better shocks . . . or perhaps it is the addition of having the power steering that gives you a better ride.

After considering it further, I think if we do buy, it will be the big one. The power would be nice for working up fields. It will probably even be better for plowing snow as there have been a few times with our present machine I wished it had more power. Also in the woods. I could drag a bigger log and if I ever get around to making that dray, it will be super nice. I still say that for most folks 450-500 cc is more than enough power . . . but that said . . . only you truly know what you want or need and the truth is you worked hard in life to get exactly what you want Dennis so if you want a larger machine I say go for it.

Here is a problem most people might find very interesting. My wife wants me to buy a new atv and sell the old one. Not only that, but she is pressuring me to buy the 700, which is the largest one they make.

I jsut dont get it, Backwoods, how do you get her to do that? I am a newlywed and looking for all the advice to make that possible! it would be worth starting a thread on that alone..."how to get the wife to let you buy toys, 1) keep her warm.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.