Which one to buy.....or should I even buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, Stump_Branch, we go through this a lot. She usually ends up wanting me to get something better or larger or whatever. I do try to keep her warm! Love her a lot! She was just a farm kid who had practically never gone anywhere in her life before I met her. We married quite young (they said it wouldn't last) and we've since celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary. Before we married, we planned our family and most of our life. The first plan was to have a family but her job would be raising the kids. Later if she wanted to work out it would be okay. We stuck to that plan and it worked out rather well. In fact, I don't think we even had an argument between us for at least 20 years after we'd been married!

They say early marriage is getting used to each other and getting to know each other etc., etc. For us there was no getting used to each other; simply put, we wanted to be together.....always. Yes, we've had some difficult times but the good times have far outweighed the difficult ones. She lives for me and I live for her. I was told when a young married man that the best thing I could do for my children was to love their mother. I did; it worked. Whoops. I'd best stop. Sometimes I get carried away....

So the best advice I can give to a newlywed is to love each other. If you don't enjoy being together, you should not get married in the first place.

Backwoods,
Let us know what you end up doing--I'm in the same situation (looking for quad for workin' 'round the house) and would like some feedback on a new machine.
Also, like a stove, it's always easy to use less power from a big machine but impossible to squeeze more from a small.

S

Will do. Just not sure yet when we'll get it. Part depends upon some possible upcoming surgery we may have to contend with.

Backwoods Savage said:
There is Matt and it won't cost her a dime.

Just her self-respect. :D

Seriously...just let her have her way and get the biggest one you cna find. Might as well get the dump loader and a winch while you're at it.

Backwoods Savage said:
lol, Stump_Branch, we go through this a lot. She usually ends up wanting me to get something better or larger or whatever. I do try to keep her warm! Love her a lot! She was just a farm kid who had practically never gone anywhere in her life before I met her. We married quite young (they said it wouldn't last) and we've since celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary. Before we married, we planned our family and most of our life. The first plan was to have a family but her job would be raising the kids. Later if she wanted to work out it would be okay. We stuck to that plan and it worked out rather well. In fact, I don't think we even had an argument between us for at least 20 years after we'd been married!

They say early marriage is getting used to each other and getting to know each other etc., etc. For us there was no getting used to each other; simply put, we wanted to be together.....always. Yes, we've had some difficult times but the good times have far outweighed the difficult ones. She lives for me and I live for her. I was told when a young married man that the best thing I could do for my children was to love their mother. I did; it worked. Whoops. I'd best stop. Sometimes I get carried away....

So the best advice I can give to a newlywed is to love each other. If you don't enjoy being together, you should not get married in the first place.

Dennis, it really warms my heart to hear stories of marriages lasting this long. It seems so rare in these times and I'm glad you proved the nay-sayers wrong. Many of us haven't been as fortunate in these endeavers, but have learned a lot! Congratulations.

As far as ATV advice, it sounds like the 700 would be the one for you. Hopefully things work out for you to get through the medical issues and acquire the ATV that best suits you.

Thanks Uper. We just got back from an atv place. They were named as a dealer for the front end loaders but were not much help. He also had the big Polaris and I did not realize it is as big as it is. The Yamaha is a 700 and the Polaris is 850. Wow. I'll bet that thing drinks the gas. I should have rode both of the machines as a comparison but didn't want to because if we buy we will buy from a different dealer.

I did find a few interesting loaders but the really good one would be a bit too much. Here is a link to a couple of videos:

Video-Groundhog

Video loader

lift

Power loader

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks Uper. We just got back from an atv place. They were named as a dealer for the front end loaders but were not much help. He also had the big Polaris and I did not realize it is as big as it is. The Yamaha is a 700 and the Polaris is 850. Wow. I'll bet that thing drinks the gas. I should have rode both of the machines as a comparison but didn't want to because if we buy we will buy from a different dealer.

I did find a few interesting loaders but the really good one would be a bit too much. Here is a link to a couple of videos:

Video-Groundhog

Video loader

lift

Power loader

The larger cc engines will go through more gas . . . on the flip side though . . . many are now coming through with electronic fuel injection which should translate into some offset fuel savings.

Jake, the gas is one of our concerns but I have not been able to find anything on how much they will use. I recall when we bought this one we had a shock on how much gas it takes vs. the old Timberwolf. No doubt a 700 will be more. The machines we are looking at do have EFI. They also have power steering which sounds like nothing to me at first but after riding with it and considering I think it will be worth the dollars. Backing up with only one hand on the handlebars and snow plowing come to mind where it will be useful.

I tried to skim all the posts, so I wouldnt be steppin on any toes but, I am almost positive that the power steering unit works with the speed of the quad. The faster your going the easier it is to steer. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is what I gathered from researching them when they first came out with it in 07. Might wanna search around an see if their still like that or if they have made changes to them since. Good luck

Wayne, you are correct about the power steering working with the speed of the machine but it is the opposite. The faster you are going, the harder it is to steer. The slower you are going, the easier it gets.

The only thing I do not like is that it does not work if the differential is locked.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wayne, you are correct about the power steering working with the speed of the machine but it is the opposite. The faster you are going, the harder it is to steer. The slower you are going, the easier it gets.

The only thing I do not like is that it does not work if the differential is locked.

Knew there was something about it :) I'm a Yamaha guy myself and I do not think you will regret it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, the UTV for sure is out as is the 2-up. We are not trail riders at all. In fact I do not think we've ever rode on a trail with our atvs. The wife usually does not ride but does only at times to give me a ride or perhaps fetch some tools, etc. The machine is basically mine.

I too thought the 550 would be enough machine but, although I don't understand it, the bigger one does seem to give a better ride. I think their spec sheet is wrong as there is a difference, or at least there is on the two we tried.

As for the speed, that is a non-issue. Power is the deciding factor.

Maybe Lee is right; go big or go home. Something like, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

After considering it further, I think if we do buy, it will be the big one. The power would be nice for working up fields. It will probably even be better for plowing snow as there have been a few times with our present machine I wished it had more power. Also in the woods. I could drag a bigger log and if I ever get around to making that dray, it will be super nice.

I know that the UTV has been beaten to death on this thread, but you really may want to consider it (if you are willing to spend the $$$). Having driven a Polaris Ranger around my families property I can assure you they are not simply trail machines. These types of vehicles now are not the same as they were 10 years ago when they first started coming out. It will go absolutely anywhere the 4 wheelers can go and much more comfortable (power steering on these also). And that cadillac feeling you got on the big 4-wheeler will feel like you were riding during an earthquake after you ride in one of these. going over logs and through drainage ditches just feels like a drive down the road. Power-wise you will not be dissapointed.

Hi Dennis

I have a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400 auto. Its a great machine and even though we ride it side saddle from time to time. It was getting hard for my dad to get on it. And two years ago we got a Kawasaki mule diesel 4x4 with two bench seats. And I have to say that is now our go to machine. The back seat flips up and the bed extends so I get a longer bed when I am working in the woods. And it rated to hold 700lbs with the short bed and 1100 with the long bed and pull a 1500;b trailer. Its really quiet and we usually end up riding around with 4-5 people in it and we can talk normally and hear each other fine. I did put a bigger battery in it but the last two winters it was the best starting machine I had even though the first winter it was parked in the woods under a tarp when I wasn't at the farm. I have over 1600 miles on it right now. I don't know how fuel efficient is is but is seems to be great but I also have a 150 gal tank I fill it up out of so I am not sure.

If you want to try it out before you get another atv. I would be more than happy to give you directions to the farm and let you try it out. It is wider than a atv so if your trails are just atv wide it won't work out well for you. My cousin has the yamaha rhino. But I don't like it nearly as much. Its harder to get in and out of and a lot louder. I am going back up thanksgiving day through the weekend then coming home and propally going up the week after for a week.

Billy

I am looking into the Kawasaki Mule 610 UTV. I like it becuase it is not too much bigger than a large ATV, cna fit in the back of a full size truck if need be, has a super good low range and great handling in tight spaces. Anyone have one of these that would like to give me some pro's and cons?

I have only two dislikes with my 3010. The first there is no real engine braking going down hill. I start going down a hill and within 10 feet it starts free wheeling and I have to ride the brakes down it. And two the brakes don't seem strong enough. I don't know if the 610 has the same drive train or not but I think its similar. One kinda sorta thing is the parking brake. Its a hand brake and it freezes up in the winter and you can't use it or it will stay on. One tip with the hand brake set it tight when you use it. Tight enough so it will barely move when you try to take off if you forget to release it.

Billy

Backwoods,

Seems this post may be a bit late...I think you were looking at ATVs back in November. Anyway, here's my two cents....regardless of which machine you get, I would seriously consider POWER STEERING...the difference between an ATV with power steering and one without is similar to the difference between a solid rear axle and independent suspension. It’s really that much better. Much greater riding comfort/effort, no kickback in the bars when you hit an unseen obstacle with one wheel, and MAJOR improvement in low speed handling/effort.....especially when in the woods or plowing with these big machines. At this point, I would never by an ATV without power steering.

If your not drag racing or towing heavy loads, I think the 550 would be sufficient. I'm a Polaris fan myself, and own an 850, but the 550 is very capable and I wouldn’t hesitate to get a 550. You can definitely push a 60" plow with one. The UTVs are really nice, but are wider (may not get into smaller spaces) and cost a bit more. -
Mark

I've ridden both the Grizzly and the Sportsman big bore machine with PS, IMO, Yamaha's power steering is not quite a nice as Polaris. It felt more responsive to me. Polaris's works with the 4WD on and locked.

Backwoods Savage said:

Billy, I too will ride side saddle quite a bit of the time, especially when backing up. With my neck going bad it is difficult turning the head around that far but riding side saddle makes backing up easy. On the machines with free wheeling, those folks have to replace brakes a bit more often. Not sure I would like the free wheeling myself. Mine does not have the parking brake but has Park on the shift.

Mark, you are too late. lol We ended up with the 700 along with some extras. Yes, I do like the power steering and have not noticed any problem with it. When I was at the dealer's it would not steer easy with the differential locked but no problem now. Perhaps it was the asphalt surface that made the difference. Now I can't tell any difference in the steering with it on or off. You are exactly right that the power steering is excellent. Steering is really easy as you state.

Backwoods Savage said:
Billy, I too will ride side saddle quite a bit of the time, especially when backing up. With my neck going bad it is difficult turning the head around that far but riding side saddle makes backing up easy. On the machines with free wheeling, those folks have to replace brakes a bit more often. Not sure I would like the free wheeling myself. Mine does not have the parking brake but has Park on the shift.

Mark, you are too late. lol We ended up with the 700 along with some extras. Yes, I do like the power steering and have not noticed any problem with it. When I was at the dealer's it would not steer easy with the differential locked but no problem now. Perhaps it was the asphalt surface that made the difference. Now I can't tell any difference in the steering with it on or off. You are exactly right that the power steering is excellent. Steering is really easy as you state.

Congrats on the purchase...I'm sure it will serve you well and last many years! 700 seems to split the difference between 850 and 550 anyway!

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.