Which one??????????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In most other cases, I would totally agree with you. But when the OP may be bound to a wheelchair in the future, the birch will be rotting in the backyard regardless while the stove gathers cobwebs. Given the prognosis, I would probably stick with oil and try efficiency upgrades. As for a stove, I would at most invest in a budget one (Englander, Drolet) that will have paid for itself in a few years so there won't be a loss no matter how the disease turns out.
I agree with that. But I thought he was considering a Woodstove or a pellet burner, don't remember him asking for info on a central heater.

bfbill, currently have wood stove or wood furnace??

Wood burning stove. I can't tell the name brand or model................tag is riveted on back with csa approval though.
BTW I would consider any and all suggestions be it a furnace or upgrade what I have or..............

P.S. I really like a f5100 but verrrrrrrrry pricy!!(Regency)

Reactions: rdsherman
For long range planning with a possible disability on its way, you might want to consider a ground source heat pump like Water Furnace and a few others make. Compared to oil or LP gas it will pay for itself in about 5 years time and will tie right into your existing duct work.

Yes I own one but it is only about a year old. It is in a house I am building myself and gave me a nice working environment all last winter in a 2500 square foot shell for only about $100 per month. My existing home runs about 1700 square feet and cost a lot more than that to heat in town with natural gas. There is no nat gas available out on my building site so it is electric or propane outside of town around here. In my case I had them do the vertical wells for a heat source as advised by the installing company. They preferred it because they get too many call backs with the shallow horizontal fields of buried pipe that people tend to want in order to save money up front. The difference in cost was a little over $1000. With the vertical deep wells they are not subject to the effects of surface temperature changes like the shallower systems.

keep burning wood until it is no longer feasible.
Agreed. Upgrade the woodstove, maybe go used to keep cost down, to give you time to explore and mull over the options for the long haul.
I have available to me almost any stove made and I choose Blaze King.
You're also a BK dealer, right? How much do you make on those? ;)

Agreed. Upgrade the woodstove, maybe go used to keep cost down, to give you time to explore and mull over the options for the long haul.You're also a BK dealer, right? How much do you make on those? ;)
No I'm not a dealer. I'm an installer, I make the same money no matter what stove gets sold.
I do offer free sound advice though!;)

No I'm not a dealer. I'm an installer, I make the same money no matter what stove gets sold.
For you to work, stoves gotta be sold. BKs are easy to sell, I would imagine, with the burn-time angle. I still wonder what the mark-up is for the dealer on a high-priced stove that appears to be pretty cheap to make; Just a welded plate-steel (sheet metal?) stove with a thermostat. A guy at a local shop says Hearthstone has priced themselves out of the market here, but those don't have the burn-time hype that seems to draw in new burners, or former tube-stove burners. To be clear, I'm not saying the BKs have nothing to offer...
I do offer free sound advice though!;)
Yeah, there was a fanboy here that used to do that, but he was touting the virtues of a different brand. ;) Now, didn't you go back to an Oslo after the King? If so, how did you make that mistake? ==c
At any rate, I've derailed this thread too much already, and I'll be lucky if my post isn't nuked. Maybe not since it's the slow season on the board. ;lol If I'm not booted altogether, I'll just jump into a BK thread later and rake up some muck...somebody's gotta do it. ;lol I've already said my piece regarding the OP's question, though I've given him no long-term answers...

For you to work, stoves gotta be sold. BKs are easy to sell, I would imagine, with the burn-time angle. I still wonder what the mark-up is for the dealer on a high-priced stove that appears to be pretty cheap to make; Just a welded plate-steel (sheet metal?) stove with a thermostat. A guy at a local shop says Hearthstone has priced themselves out of the market here, but those don't have the burn-time hype that seems to draw in new burners, or former tube-stove burners. To be clear, I'm not saying the BKs have nothing to offer...Yeah, there was a fanboy here that used to do that, but he was touting the virtues of a different brand. ;) Now, didn't you go back to an Oslo after the King? If so, how did you make that mistake? ==c
At any rate, I've derailed this thread too much already, and I'll be lucky if my post isn't nuked. Maybe not since it's the slow season on the board. ;lol If I'm not booted altogether, I'll just jump into a BK thread later and rake up some muck...somebody's gotta do it. ;lol I've already said my piece regarding the OP's question, though I've given him no long-term answers...
If you new anything about me you'd know that I love all stoves! Not sure why you've decided to single me out..

If you new anything about me you'd know that I love all stoves! Not sure why you've decided to single me out..
From what you've said in the past, I had no idea you loved the Cape Cod! ;lol I'm not really singling you out, but of the experienced burners here, you seem to be the main drum-beater for the BKs lately. You have a ways to go to catch Dennis with the Woodstocks, but you're gaining fast. ;) See the BK thread in a bit, and I'll come clean. ==c

From what you've said in the past, I had no idea you loved the Cape Cod! ;lol I'm not really singling you out, but of the experienced burners here, you seem to be the main drum-beater for the BKs lately. You have a ways to go to catch Dennis with the Woodstocks, but you're gaining fast. ;) See the BK thread in a bit, and I'll come clean. ==c
Dude, I'm a freakin stove fanatic! Blaze King makes a fine product and they stand behind it, and I'm gonna speak up about it when I have a chance. I would also speak up if it was a piece of crap that they wouldn't stand behind! (Cape Cod)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.