which pellet boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT371

Sep 14, 2013
I was thinking about getting a iwb for the main heat source and leave the oil as backup. But now I'm thinking about a pellet boiler. There is a lot of options. Which one do I look into and which one do I stay away from?

Kind of vague, so I'll list my choices if I were purchasing a new pellet boiler now. (Don't get me wrong, my Pinnacle is great, but some of the features on these new models make me drool).

1. BioWin Windhager
2. Kedel
3. Pinnacle PB 150
4. Harman PB105
5. OkoFEN r
6. Heatilator Ecochice
6. MESys

Hi JT:

I am in New Hampshire and I'm actually having a Windhager Biowin installed in my home tomorrow.

I did a lot of research prior to selecting the Windhager, mainly on the brands that sinnian mentioned. The Biowin just seemed to be the clear choice in value for the money.

I will be writing up the install with pictures and as this will my first winter heating with pellets I'll probably be posting on here often about the Biowin and the different pellet brands that I will be trying.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Hey sinnian I was just curious why you put the Harman PB105 above the Okofen.

The plumber who is putting in my Windhager has done some Okefen installs and he said that he was very impressed and that after a few years of staying in contact with his customers they have had good luck with the Okefens and are very happy.

On the other hand I have heard/read of many people complaining about the PB105, especially the burnpot issue. I actually called Harman to enquire about the unit as well as went to a local dealer to view it. Neither the dealer nor the company rep seemed to be very knowledagle or willing to talk at length about the product. For what the PB105 retails for I didn't even consider it when I began comparing it to some of the other units you listed.

I have no first hand experience with any of the boilers. Just based my decision to go with the Windhager and formed my opinions of the other brands based on a ton of internet research and speaking with a lot of people about the different product available.

Kind of vague, so I'll list my choices if I were purchasing a new pellet boiler now. (Don't get me wrong, my Pinnacle is great, but some of the features on these new models make me drool).

1. BioWin Windhager
2. Kedel
3. Pinnacle PB 150
4. Harman PB105
5. OkoFEN r
6. Heatilator Ecochice
6. MESys
How much does it cost to put one in?? I wonder if long island has people that do service on them.

Hey sinnian I was just curious why you put the Harman PB105 above the Okofen.

The plumber who is putting in my Windhager has done some Okefen installs and he said that he was very impressed and that after a few years of staying in contact with his customers they have had good luck with the Okefens and are very happy.

On the other hand I have heard/read of many people complaining about the PB105, especially the burnpot issue. I actually called Harman to enquire about the unit as well as went to a local dealer to view it. Neither the dealer nor the company rep seemed to be very knowledagle or willing to talk at length about the product. For what the PB105 retails for I didn't even consider it when I began comparing it to some of the other units you listed.

I have no first hand experience with any of the boilers. Just based my decision to go with the Windhager and formed my opinions of the other brands based on a ton of internet research and speaking with a lot of people about the different product available.

Just because I have not heard a lot about it, and found only limited information. Doesn't really matter though, because I would stop at #1 or #2 anyway, if I were looking right now. Kedel would win over Windhager for me, only because the distributor/dealer is right in Portland, vs. Windhager being in MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.