Which pellet stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snikr

Sep 14, 2008
Wallingford, VT
Yes this is another of those "Which pellet stoves should I buy topics". I'm looking for a good pellet stove for around $2500 to replace my OLD King Wood Circulator in my basement. I did some searching on here but still can't find what I think I need for an answer. Right now I'm looking at a Glow Boy or a Magnum Winchester from a local dealer. I'd love to get a Harmon but they are $1000 out of my price range for a P61A (yes my local wants $3350 for a P61A)! My home is a 980 sq ft ranch which the King did a good job of heating thank to duct work to the upstairs. What I need is input as to which one of these pellet stoves might be better for me. And I have wood for this winter so I'm looking to get the pellet stove for next winter. TIA

BRECKWELL BIG E,

http://www.breckwell.com/pellet.htm#bi

Standard Features:

"Hot Rod" Automatic Firestarter
Heats up to 2,200 Square Feet
Digital One-Touch Control with Diagnostics
Up to 55,000 BTU Heat Input
13 Tube Heat Exchange System
Up to 140 lb. Hopper Capacity
81% Fuel Efficiency
Two Thermostat modes: high/low or on/off
Five Heat Settings
Low Speed Trim Setting
Limited Five-Year Warranty
EPA Exempt
View Specifications
Options:

Radio Frequency Remote Control
210 lb. Hopper Extension

Big E Furnace Has Hopper Extension

snikr said:
Yes this is another of those "Which pellet stoves should I buy topics". And I have wood for this winter so I'm looking to get the pellet stove for next winter. TIA

If next winter is your goal, I would suggest hanging out and watching........some stoves may be higher in price right now for supply/demand/commodity reasons. Steel and other metals are crashing in price.........demand will probably flatten for pellet stoves since most folks who wanted one will have bought during the frenzy this year.

Of course, if the price is right you can consider buying now - but otherwise, watch and wait. The Magnum and Harman have the benefit of putting up with lower qualify pellets, which might be a plus - also corn and other biofuels (I think) on the Magnum).

But the Big E and other "furnace type" have a lot going for them if you can handle the looks (or lack of). In fact, Magnum has some furnaces too, which have the advantage of being able to be hooked to your system (if it's hot air)....

All in all, I say just keep looking around unless a deal presents itself.

Craig:

I agree 100% with what you say. I've been shopping for a pellet stove on and off for the past six or so months. I wasn't able to do any serious shopping this summer due to work travel. I've learned a lot on this forum and the knowledge has been invaluable. One thing in particular I have learned is that demand exceeds supply right now and with that comes higher prices. Even worse than that, I visited a dealer close to my home in northeastern Maryland and found them to be a bit arrogant and got the impression that unless I wanted to buy what they had in stock they didn't want to bother with me. In a nutshell I've been a little turned off to the whole idea of a pellet stove right now. The points you made about watching and waiting have been crossing my mind.

I think I'll do as you said...watch and wait. I'll have to live with my electric heat as the sole source of heat for another winter, but I hate to compromise on a ~$4k purchase based on a hyped market and see the stoves selling for less a year or so later.

Webmaster said:
Steel and other metals are crashing in price.........
I'm not sure I'd call it "crashing" :) The 3 big steel producers (used to be 7 of them 10 years ago) stock prices are all trading up (3-9%) and steel futures funds like Van Eck Market Vectors Steel is also up 6%. Steel futures are down from $565 two weeks ago but closed at $552 - not bad considering January's trading was at $520.

I wouldn't count on sinking steel prices having an impact on stoves. Might be different if the world's automakers keep hemoraghing though.

Been a great year for steel. The company I work for has had a great year. Looking for a nice profit sharing check in the spring. Steel prices may be dropping this fall. Prices have been up all year. Weak dollar has helped keep imports low.

Well so far I still have more questions than answers. I do have a dealer who will hold on to a pellet stove for me (either the Glow Boy or the Winchester) till this spring that's why I'm asking about which one is better and the price isn't too bad ( the old bird in hand thing). I have a feeling that next year the pellet stoves will still be in short supply. Or I may just go wood stove and forget this whole mess. Come on Glow Boy and Winchester users, I want to hear from you!

If you do purchase a pellet stove, do some reseach on what brand of pellets to purchase it may save you a whole lot of trouble.

If your handy, I would look for a nice used pellet stove on Craigslist. Your can save alot of money with a used one. People buy houses and want the stove removed. You can pick up some nice stoves or inserts for under a $ 1000. sometime this include the piping.

I have been looking for a used pellet stove but no luck so far. guess everyone who has one in Vermont and near by areas is keeping them. Lucky me.

You will start seeing them on craigslist in a few weeks, I have a hard time spending that kind of money on a new stove, just give it a little time, If you go out and buy one you know the next day one will show up on craigslist.

I've had an Enviro Meridian for 4 years now. It heats my 1400 sqft cape very efficiently and I've had zero problems with the stove.

FYI When searching craigs list mispell slightly on purpose for what you are looking for a few people post ads misspelled and craigs list will take the add the way it is submitted and it will not correct your spelling on a search.
You may find a posting mispeled that no one has repleyed to and find a deal.
Not sure and I am tired but I may have mispelled on this posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.