Which pellets would you go with with these choices??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
I am starting to check out prices for next burning season.. Here is what's available to me in Rhode Island right now
Pelletsales.com

LG Granules $264.90 a ton with a 3 ton min. Deliver $38 a ton

Cleanfire $269.90 a ton with a 2.6 ton min. Deliver $33 a ton

Rocky Mountain $279.90 a ton with a 2.4 ton min.. Deliver $29 a ton

South Shore Pellets

O'malleys $265 a ton

Barefoot $295 a ton

Appling $260

Del is about $65 for 2 tons

pelletsdirrect

Barefoot are $289 a ton

Palmetto $254 a ton

Deliver about $70 for 2 ton

So, which ones would you get.. I am looking to get 2-3 tons...

debinri,

Really it depends on what your stove likes. We could recommend a brand that your stove will dislike. I would purchase a few bags of each and give them a try before you BUY. I also test there heat output at the stoves heat exchanger. Leaving the stove at the same heat setting. Try each brand and record the heat. The higher heat outputs are the best bang for the buck. But sometimes you can purchase a cheaper brand that is very close to the same heat output. Then compare the amount of ash each brand left in your stove.

With that said, I really like

1=Barefoots, High heat and low ash. LOW fines. One of the best pellets I have burned!
2=RockyMountain Good Heat and low ash. Low fines and is the top of the softwoods I have tried!

I might consider these too!
3=LG Granules but I have not been able to purchase them in a few years. So my experiance is not reliable.
4=Cleanfires (same as NEWP) But have not burned in a while either! So my experiance is not reliable.

I have also heard good things about the O malleys. But don't have 1st hand experience with them. But are on my to try out list!

I have heard mixed reviews with the Applings. I would have to try them before I bought them! Reports of large amounts of ash!!! But a good heat output.

Remember you are looking for the highest BTU output, With the cleanest burn(saves you alot of stove cleaning.) But of Coarse you want to try to get the best for the cheapest price. Or close to it as possible.

So I would get testing before it warms up!

Hope this helps get you started. Happy pellet hunting!!!
Jay

IMO, get the CleanFire from PelletSales (same pellets as NEWP hardwood...I burned 3 tons last winter, good pellets), and get 3 tons ....better having a little more than not enough. If you PM me, I can also give you a $10 off coupon code.

Getting them and trying them will be a problem as none of these places are really close.. I mean, south shore is about 1 hour. away and pellet's direct is about the same in another direction.. lol... I can't see driving all that way for a couple of bags to try so will have to take peoples experiences with them.. By the way, I have a st croix afton bay... if that matters...

Debi

Burned Corinth and Allegheny this year.. Really liked both... but Corinth is unavailble for me and Allegheny are $300 a ton at the place I got them for$255 last year...

debinri said:
Getting them and trying them will be a problem as none of these places are really close.. I mean, south shore is about 1 hour. away and pellet's direct is about the same in another direction.. lol... I can't see driving all that way for a couple of bags to try so will have to take peoples experiences with them.. By the way, I have a st croix afton bay... if that matters...

Debi

Burned Corinth and Allegheny this year.. Really liked both... but Corinth is unavailble for me and Allegheny are $300 a ton at the place I got them for$255 last year...

I keep forgetting, I'm kind of spoiled. I have pellet house's very close to me. Well like Macman says the Cleanfires are good. They are the same as the NEWP hardwoods.

But if you want a nice clean stove and awesome heat. Try the Barefoots.

jay

The only ones I have tried,that you have listed is...Rocky Mountain and LG Granules. I really liked them both. I actually liked Rocky Mountain better,little more heat,but not a whole lot. Plus the smell from the Rocky Mountains smell great.

Status
Not open for further replies.