Which Rutland brush for Flex King HD liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosscut

Feb 17, 2016
Southwest VA
Apparently, the P50 has a smaller diameter bristle than the PB5 (16909 on most eBay listings).

From an Amazon review: I went to Rutland.com's web site and realized their Chimney Sweep Brand 16906 brush is made of poly bristles that are .100" in diameter, which is very stiff. Rutland also makes a P50 Poly Pro Professional's Choice PB-6P50 brush that is one step up in their quality line and is made with bristles that are .050" in diameter.

Pros/cons of the stiff vs. softer bristles? The only issue I see would be reversing direction with the stiffer bristles. Does anyone have any idea which one would clean better? I'm burning a Woodstock Ideal Steel with new liner this year, so I don't expect much buildup to start with.

Pros/cons of the stiff vs. softer bristles? The only issue I see would be reversing direction with the stiffer bristles. Does anyone have any idea which one would clean better? I'm burning a Woodstock Ideal Steel with new liner this year, so I don't expect much buildup to start with.
That depends upon what type of buildup you have we have many different cleaning tools and we use them in different situations. If you have nice dry powder you want softer bristles you want stiff ones for harder stuff.

Also, you can snip the tips off of the stiffer brush if you find it too hard to retract. You don't even need to cut all the bristles, just a few here and there.
Don't take off too much of course.

Best case is if you have an old piece of the liner left over, you can test the fit B4 you get it stuck 15' down you flue._g

When using a Poly hard bristle brush, only insert it about a 1' into the liner then reverse it and pull it out. The last thing you want to do is push it 5' down, only to find out you can't get it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.