which saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
my buddy is gonna buy a saw he said for 300 dollar range i told him the stihl ms250...he said the husky 445 at tractor supply is same price...and is equipped with 3/8 chain..vs stihl ms250 with a .253...............will the husky power the 3/8...which is a better saw....?

Just my opinion,,I think the MS250 is the perfect homeowner saw. Great power to weight ratio. It helps if you have good dealer support, close by. I'm just sayin..

Go with the Stihl. For $300 he might be able to find a good used Stihl with more ooommmppfff than a 250.

He might want to search VMInnovations for $240 factory refurb of 445 or $306 refurb of 455r.
Prices are f.o.b. your door. Got the 455r m'self- great buy!

hes gonna buy the husky 445 or the stihl ms250..... which one is better?...and will the 445 run the 3/8 chain?

steeltowninwv said:
hes gonna buy the husky 445 or the stihl ms250..... which one is better?...and will the 445 run the 3/8 chain?

Both of those saws are ~45cc. .325 pitch is the biggest you'd want to run.

Personally, I don't even consider regular 3/8 pitch chain until ~60cc's, but there are a few 50cc saws that can handle it (Dolmar 5100s, MS290/291/261, Husqvarna 455, et al.).

+1 on the MS250. It's got a little (.2 hp) more snot than the 445, a big (nearly a pound!) weight advantage and a helluva good track record to boot. I can't see 3/8" chain on a 445 being a good combo. (Husky reccomends .325 on that saw BTW)

Love the 250. Perfect for all sorts of jobs. I have an 18 on mine.

Both good little homeowner saws.....stick with .325 on either. Which one is better? Well that's a Ford/Chevy debate and therefore can never be definitively answered. Tell your buddy to go handle both. Stihl may have the edge if he needs dealer support AND (this is a real crap shoot) and your local dealer has a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.