Which Season??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
well, which season do you like better....Do you like the gettign the firewood all ready, bucked,stacked etc or do you like the actual burning season better....I ahve to tell you that I like the getting ready part better overall, but thats not to say I do imensely enjoy the nice fire on a sub zero day! Thoughts??

Ill take the wood cutting over burning season.......... send me south~

I like it when I really don't have to do any of those things. Rick

Tough choice. I really enjoy the burn time in Winter and Winter is when I do almost all of my bucking. Spring is when I get to play with my splitter. Fall is when I play with my tractor and cart.

so LLigetfa you with me, all of it is nice

Like the Fall the best you get to see all your hard work starting to pay off, when everyone else around you is turning on there furnaces.

I am still burning wood here from time to time at night..thought I would be done by now but still have some left so why not

It is a toss up. Sitting inside in your shorts next to your wood stove when is it -20* is pretty nice. Although, putting up a few cord of wood nicely stacked and watching it season all summer gives you a nice feeling of accomplishment. But I think the "getting it ready" might have to win out. That is when I get to be outside and play with all of my "toys" necessary to save money heating our house...

haha..yeah, I tell my wife it is playtime when I do it, she looks at me weird as I jump on my ATV towing the trailer with gas cans, saws, saw bag, water/lunch, chaps, helmet, rope etc etc etc

Well, I like to do the majority of my wood processing after the leaves fall through early April. Gives me something to do outside during this time frame and I prefer doing this work when its cooler. I sweated my back side off this past Sunday bucking up a couple trees that had fallen in a nieghbors yard and it was 60 degrees out. The brews sure tasted good after though!
Burning is ok - the heat is great - but I really enjoy the processing work.

I enjoy the burning season the most. I used to HATE winter but now I love it, I can listen to everyone else (including pellet burners) gripe about the high cost of heating. My highest gas bill for the winter was $35.00 and I love it! :)

I've always enjoyed putting up the firewood even from my youth. Still, the end result is that you keep your butt warm in the cold of winter without paying through the nose to the oil man and still freezing your butt off. I just never seemed to be able to stay warm in a home with force air furnace, including some friends who have the outdoor boiler. It still uses forced air which is regulated with a thermostat. I have to put on extra clothing when I visit them....and they have wood heat!!! Crazy. They come here and take clothing off....which is much nicer.

I like autumn (fall) the best I think, then summer. Autumn allows burning on cool nights (love a good fire), camping, great surf with winter swells / offshore winds / cool but not freezing water, and days mild enough to work outside processing wood comfortably. Summer = BBQ's, surfing in boardies, cricket, general laziness and christmas :)

Once hunting season is over, burning and getting wood season go side by side. When the mud starts and I can't get the truck into the woods that's when I start stacking.

As we have already had 100+ days down here, I would have to say my most enjoyable time is feeding the fire in the dead of winter. That is when we cut most of our wood too as high spring and summer temps really drain ones ambitions. Having done that since a youth, feeding a fire is something I look forward to during the summer.

I`d have to say,"the season of December",,thats when I take my vacation and feed the Fire.

I like all the seasons but the wood burning season is my least favorite... meh.

I enjoy sitting by a warm stove, watching the snow fall with my kids running around 1/2 naked because it is warm in our house. I also like that fact that I am the one providing that warmth with my two hands and a saw. I like the winter as long as it doesn't last into May.

Its all good in moderation. I can usually solve other problems in my head when Iam doing some sort of wood tasks. My two young boys are really getting into it also. They actually have their own little wood piles started that they have been stacking between the trees. They are 3yrs and 6yrs old. Ya gotta love it.

I guess it's 60 percent burning season, 40 percent processing season, for me. Both have their satisfactions. Life is contrasts. I remember the struggle for the wood as I enjoy burning it. Likewise, I relish the coming season as I process it. To me, the two go hand in hand. Even if I were buying all my wood, I'd still enjoy the burning, but I suspect not quite as much. The whole process makes me feel more alive, somehow. Hey, I need the exercise! :lol:

north of 60 said:
Its all good in moderation. I can usually solve other problems in my head when Iam doing some sort of wood tasks. My two young boys are really getting into it also. They actually have their own little wood piles started that they have been stacking between the trees. They are 3yrs and 6yrs old. Ya gotta love it.

I am soooooo with you there. I do alot of major thinking when processing wood.

There's pros- and cons- with all the seasons.

I enjoy Fall with the cooler weather and colors . . . usually this is the time I start to cut down next season's wood.

I enjoy Winter with the dazzling white snow-covered fields and trees and riding on the sled all day and then coming home to a toasty warm fire . . . not as much work to do other than bringing in the wood although shoveling, plowing and raking the snow keeps me pretty busy.

I enjoy Spring with the on-set of warmer temps and the greening of the area . . . time to split the wood I didn't get to before the on-set of snow from the Fall. This is my least favorite season although it involves my favorite part of wood operations -- splitting. I dislike the swarms of biting blackflies which get in your nose, mouth, eyes, ears, etc. . . . and the mud which keeps you from getting out and about in the woods.

I enjoy Summer with the warm temps which are perfect for riding the ATV, swimming or just plain relaxing . . . a good time perhaps to move some wood or simply relax.

Spring is my favorite, longer days, warmer days, not that many bugs yet, and everything looking and smelling great. I like summer because of the bbq's, pool, fishing. Fall is hunting, cooler weather, and gathering wood. Winter is fires, snow and holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.