Which Season??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like collecting wood in the winter. There are lots of other things to do in spring, summer, and fall, but here in PA most winters include a long, dreary time during which there really isn't enough snow for snow sports, hunting season is over, and the ground is too frozen to do anything at all in the garden (not that there is a lot to do), so cutting wood is about the only outdoor activity I have left. Also, there are no ticks or poison ivy, and I am wearing enough clothing to make me briar-proof. Overall, I prefer summer, but wood cutting definitely improves the winter for me. I enjoy burning, too, but I think I like gathering wood better than burning it.

well, I guess if we all liked gathering more than burning we would never have a shortage....hmmmm.

I don't have a favorite season which is why I could never leave the Northeast. By late August/early September I'm tired of the heat and look forward to progressively cooler weather and being able to split wood outside comfortably in just a long sleeve tee shirt. Likewise, by the end of February/beginning of March I'm looking forward to ditching the winter coat and going fishing.

I got my wood split and stacked during the burning season this year, (thanks to the nasty winter storms), so I'm not sure what to do this summer... :long:

As a scrounger, gathering is usually year-round, whenever it arrives. I'm having severe symptoms whenever I drive past an arborist at work, as I've already filled my yard to capacity. It freaks me out not to be grabbing wood away from a chipper. I guess that I enjoy both the relaxed comfort of burning, and the excitement and sense of satisfaction of snagging a load of free wood and getting it split and stacked.

I am a skier, so give me winter. Anything over 75 degrees is too much for me. I get cabin fever in the summer, I like to stay in a controlled climate 67-70 degrees in the house with the central air. Now if I could just get the central air to run off all the wood I have stacked in the yard.

KC

I hate winter and should live in the tropics, I only burn wood to save money! I do think it's a great way to excercise though..

Adirondackwoodburner said:
well, which season do you like better....Do you like the gettign the firewood all ready, bucked,stacked etc or do you like the actual burning season better....I ahve to tell you that I like the getting ready part better overall, but thats not to say I do imensely enjoy the nice fire on a sub zero day! Thoughts??

I accumulate firewood year round.

madrone said:
As a scrounger, gathering is usually year-round, whenever it arrives. I'm having severe symptoms whenever I drive past an arborist at work, as I've already filled my yard to capacity. It freaks me out not to be grabbing wood away from a chipper. I guess that I enjoy both the relaxed comfort of burning, and the excitement and sense of satisfaction of snagging a load of free wood and getting it split and stacked.

I'm pretty much at capacity too, with enough oak to last me many years... but every tree I see down still gets me thinking!

I love the start of every season, but at the end I can't wait till the next season. I grew up south of Boston and this was my first winter in NH, and I could not believe the difference in snow and cold just from moving 60 miles north.

I still think winter is my favorite. I love being outdoors but something about having a nice warm house when its 0F outside it really cool (no pun intended). I did the pellet stove last year but it did not do it for me. I plan on putting a real wood stove in this summer, I think it will make the winter that much better.

I love sittin in my living room with the stove in the basement goin full bore, keepin the house nice and toasty. Knowing that all my hard work is payin off and helpin me save some money by not spendin it on oil.

But!, ya can't beat sittin down on a log lookin at a pile of logs, splits, or a fresh stack of splits. Matter of fact i just did all 3 of those today haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.