Which should I do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rfanti

Sep 7, 2014
Dandridge,TN
I live in Eastern Tn, and have a Fireplace that the opening is 4'X6', not sure what to put in it. It has an ash dump and the flue is 8"X4'. I want some thing that gives me the most amount of heat. Moreover, I live on 50 acres, so I have plenty of wood! The ceiling in the room are tall and it opens up to 2 bedrooms upper lever.

Attachments

• IMG_20140907_134711_037.jpg
    IMG_20140907_134711_037.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Big honkin' hearth stove installation.

Reactions: Dix
That is a nice start. It's a beautiful fireplace. I agree with fossil. It looks like it could hold a big stove.

To make recommendations we need to know the fireplace dimensions and a bit more about the house. Is the floorplan open? Is the fireplace room open to the rest of the house or closed off? How many sq ft total will be heated?

What Rick (Fossil) said.

Absolutely.

Welcome to the forums :)

Reactions: rfanti
The photo of the fireplace and the dimensions are in the original post. The floor plan to the house is open. It is a beautiful fireplace, and I hate to cover it,but it is not functional.

Personally I can see a big jotul in there. But just like begreen said tell us more about your house, what you want to accomplish as far as heating I would imagine that you would like to heat with would exclusively. What are your preferences? Insert or freestanding?

Reactions: NHcpa
IMG_0204.JPG I put my Jotul F600 in front of my fireplace opening, but my opening wasn't as large as yours. Here is a picture of what it looks like sitting out front.

IMG_0198.JPG

Reactions: Lakeside
Something like this? We did this one last year.
I really don't have a preference...I want what will do the job. My main heat is a heat pump and on very cold nights it just doesn't work very well. Moreover,it probably will run most of the winter. I like those stoves...it looks awesome,they are all nice jobs! I guess Stove,do I have to run a flue up the chimney? The bookcases are 10' tall to give you an Idea of the size of the vaulted ceiling.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

With that size fireplace you won't have a problem putting pretty much any wood stove in. The question is if you really need "the most amount of heat" as I don't think winters in TN are that bad. What are you using currently as heating source and how much fuel do you use per winter? What budget do you have in mind? What is the size of your flue and how tall is it?

Be also aware that any modern wood stove requires dry wood. If the wood you have has not been split and stacked at least one year ago you will have problems to get a good fire going this winter.

Big honkin' hearth stove installation.

Yep!! Don't they say everything is bigger in TN? Or is that TX Haha!! J/k... anyway Welcome!

Reactions: rfanti
Yes, you need to install a stainless steel liner from the flue collar on the stove to daylight at the top of the chimney. If you have room enough to shove the stove far enough into the fireplace for that liner to be a straight vertical run, that would be ideal. Do you have ceiling fan(s) installed in that room? Rick

Yes, you need to install a stainless steel liner from the flue collar on the stove to daylight at the top of the chimney. If you have room enough to shove the stove far enough into the fireplace for that liner to be a straight vertical run, that would be ideal. Do you have ceiling fan(s) installed in that room? Rick
Yes,two.

Welcome to the forum!

With that size fireplace you won't have a problem putting pretty much any wood stove in. The question is if you really need "the most amount of heat" as I don't think winters in TN are that bad. What are you using currently as heating source and how much fuel do you use per winter? What budget do you have in mind? What is the size of your flue and how tall is it?

Be also aware that any modern wood stove requires dry wood. If the wood you have has not been split and stacked at least one year ago you will have problems to get a good fire going this winter.

I Would like to heat most of the first floor with it, which is mostly open.

Warm air will rise. You will most likely also heat the upper floor especially if the bedrooms are open to the lower floor. How many sqft do you have on each floor?

last year we had two weeks of single digits weather, and the heat pump ran 24 hrs. with the emergency element on. My electric for the two months was 1200. and the house never reached 62 for that time.

Warm air will rise. You will most likely also heat the upper floor especially if the bedrooms are open to the lower floor. How many sqft do you have on each floor?
Bottom floor is 1500. top upper two br. about 500. There is also a back bedroom and a mudroom that are 600 sq. ft that i doubt it will reach.

I would like to stay in the 2000k range.

For the stove or everything (liner, installation etc.) included?
Bottom floor is 1500. top upper two br. about 500. There is also a back bedroom and a mudroom that are 600 sq. ft that i doubt it will reach.

Sounds like a large stove with a firebox of about 3 cu ft would be appropriate. For a budget option look at the Englander 30NC from HomeDepot for ~$900. If you do the install yourself you should be able to stay under 2K.

Why stainless.
Any thing less will rot away in a couple years.
You should be able to put an Englander NC 30 stove (for example) and a insulated stainless liner for $2k or under. I put a small Vogelzang stove and insulated liner in last fall, under $1k total (DIY of 'course)

I didn't think the box stores had quality stoves. I probably could do it myself.

The 30NC is well-liked here and a great option for someone on a tight budget. You will easily find several glowing recommendations when you do a little forum search. Englander's customer service is also generally described as great and one of their reps posts here often when you ever need help. Make sure your flue is wide enough to accommodate an insulated 6" liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.