Which should I do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You want nothing combustable near the stove.....

Running a short pipe into the current chimney is called a slammer design. Most new EPA stoves require a good draft. Not only are slammer designs dangerous(think back draft of CO2 into your house) they also have crap for draft. Spend the 700 bucks and get a proper liner.
OK...understood!

Huh? You admit overfiring it for 3 years and yet call 'em terrible?! Dang, with a review like that I may have to look at US stoves next time! ;lol

Pretty good apparently! I don't think there are too many "bad" stoves out there anymore. Just some "better" than others. Some work good for most people (NC30) some are "prettier", some have better customer service, some have better warranty, some are known to last a lifetime, some have super long burn times. My personal opinion, you just need to do some research, pick the one that works for you and go for it...

Edit: I am referring to "EPA" style stoves, not those $200 china cast iron POS things...
LOL...that's the problem, there are so many stoves out there that my head was spinning!

Should the stove pipe be double or single?

If you're able to do a straight-up vertical installation, you wont have any stove pipe...the stainless steel liner will connect directly to your stove. There's a big difference between "stove pipe" (connects from the stove collar to some sort of transition through the structure) and "chimney" (goes from the transition to daylight. In your case, there may well be no transition, just chimney from the stove up. This is ideal. Rick

If you're able to do a straight-up vertical installation, you wont have any stove pipe...the stainless steel liner will connect directly to your stove. There's a big difference between "stove pipe" (connects from the stove collar to some sort of transition through the structure) and "chimney" (goes from the transition to daylight. In your case, there may well be no transition, just chimney from the stove up. This is ideal. Rick
Yes...I would be able to.

I usually use a short section of rigid SS, then transition to flex SS liner. I paint the rigid section black so it looks nice. Everything should be stainless steel in this situation.

Reactions: fossil and rfanti
Could i frame it out with studs and use cement board as a base for the damper area. Why do i need a flue, can't i run the stove pipe through the damper, why do i have to go to top?
When you figure out your own best choice to install, do it right, you said you would probably do it yourself and then ask this question, please spend a little extra for a proper professional install, you will enjoy it more..... Got wood?......

Reactions: R'Lee and rfanti
-About $1666 all in if you DIY...and that's with the optional Deluxe hinged cap (I have one, love it)

-Englander NC30 at HD (for example)...$899 (or less on sale)

-Liner...

logo-1281012460.gif

Item DescriptionPriceQuantityTotalRemove

insulation-kit-med.jpg

Insulation Blanket Kit
for Chimney Liner

Size: 1/2 in - 3 to 6 in dia x 25 ft INK625 ($269.99)
$269.99$269.99X
chimney-liner-kit-flexible-stainless-steel-home.jpg

Round Flexible Chimney Liner Kit
316Ti Stainless Steel

Size: 6 in. (I.D.) x 20 ft. ($398.99)

Connector: Vertical

TopPlate: Deluxe Flat 13x13 ($97.99)
$496.98$496.98X
« BACK TO SHOPPING
Remove All Items

Subtotal:$766.97

- or use -
- or use -

We Accept
visa.gif
master.gif
amex.gif
novus.gif

Customer Code (optional)

Free Shipping to Lower 48 US States, All TAXES included
On occasion, due to inventory levels and other factors, your order may be shipped in two or more boxes. So don't worry if you don't receive all your items in one box, but do give us a call if you have any questions!

Rockford Chimney Supply
59045 Francy Lane, South Lyon, MI 48178
Phone: 1-866-708-2446 or 1-248-446-8211
Email: [email protected]

Return Policy | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy

would a DuraVent DuraPlus 6 in. x 36 in. Triple-Wall Chimney Stove Pipe work?
No. There is no room and it's not necessary at all. Rigid Single wall SS pipe and a liner kit is all that is needed.

Reactions: rfanti
rfanti,
If you really want to get the best possible set up for your situation I suggest you set aside a few hours and hit the archives here at the forum. That's what I did before I made the switch from a slammer style insert to my Jotul F 600. I learned enough to make the switch and to do the installation myself, saving about $1000 in the process. Members here often have strong opinions and if all you do is rely on responses to your original post you are going to miss out on a wealth of information from previous postings. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

I see you used the Kingsport store as home, that's funny we all do too! HD has better prices if you are ordering online and use that store as "home", little Hearth.com secret...lotta people here got their NC30 stove shipped from TN.
I'm in Jefferson City (Dandridge), so I could use Newport or Jefferson City store.

I have a UCCS model 2015 (Magnolia), in the basement, thinking about putting it in the fireplace, still not clear about the Stack,does it have to be lined or not?

Liner HIGHLY recommended! Your flue is way too big too draft well. (read smoke up the house every time you open the stove) Even if you just did a cheapy liner with no insulation that would be way better than not doing a liner at all.

Yes it needs lined. Technically it is still legal to do a direct connect where you use a short piece of liner to just run up into the existing flue. But it is a bad idea that type of install does not preform well is a nightmare to clean and is generally not very safe. So really the answer is yes you need to line it and you should also really insulate the liner for performance and safety reasons.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.